General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

defrost not working, can’’t see!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Hello anyone who reads this,

I have a ''98 sable and the defrost is not working.

The vents at the side of the dash, pointing towards the window, hardly blow and it takes forever to defog the windshield.

In the morning the car is so frosted up on the inside that visibility is nil.
On longer trips we can sometimes get lucky to be able to see the sidemirrors, but the rest of the window is frosted.

Someone suggested that I might have a clog but I don''t know where to look, any help would be greatly appreciated, it''s starting to get dangerous to drive!

Frosted up in Edmonton.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM

there might be crud built up on the heater core. if you have the same issue (lack of air flow) with just the heater blowing out the floor, this will be the case. if not, then the vent actuator may not be working right. if you can get airflow through the vents in the dash (like with the AC on) then it''s probably not the actuator. If the AC is not working, then that''s the problem. the system needs to be able to blow dry air, but without the AC, it won''t be able to dry the air out before it comes out of the vents. I''m leaning towards the crud idea though from your description. this would require removing the heater core and cleaning the fins off. You might want to try cleaning the glass and applying some rain-x interior glass anti-fog. the stuff works.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Thanks Slymer,

I''m quite a notice in the car dept, from what I can tell the heater core is probably located behind the dash? if so this sounds like a bit more then I can handle.

Gonna look into the rain-x for the interm.

thanks for the reply