Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/)
-   -   Help with 95 Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/help-95-grand-marquis-8093/)

Tim Hueber 10-12-2015 05:32 PM

Help with 95 Grand Marquis

My 95 Grand Marquis has had an intermediate problem sometimes it just dies while driving and then wont start turns over if u wait a while u might get lucky and it may start we have replaced the coil sensor the crank sensor and relays problem still exists and out of 7 mechanics locally can't figure it out any help would be greatly appreciated ty ....

padroo 10-13-2015 11:29 AM

Is it getting fuel? I always troubleshoot starting problems with starting fluid. If it starts and then dies again it is fuel related. If nothing happens I look elsewhere.

95 MERC 03-14-2017 03:00 PM

If your '95 Merc dies out while you're driving down the road, the problem is electrical, probably a bad alternator. Have the alternator tested and the battery charged up at about 6-10 amps per hour.
The Bosch AL7537N @ 130 Amps is the correct alternator for your '95 GM.
Another cause of this problem is failing ignition coil(s) -- there are two (2) 4-post coils on your 4.6 Litre engine. Correct coil resistance is 14-15 Ohms, measued across the 2 closest posts on each side of the coil.
If you have the factory ignition wires, replace them with Bosch Premium Mag-Core wires.
Recommended spark plugs for your engine = Bosch #9605 Iridium.
Good Luck !!

ru4mercurygm 12-16-2018 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 95 MERC (Post 20310)
If your '95 Merc dies out while you're driving down the road, the problem is electrical, probably a bad alternator. Have the alternator tested and the battery charged up at about 6-10 amps per hour.
The Bosch AL7537N @ 130 Amps is the correct alternator for your '95 GM.
Another cause of this problem is failing ignition coil(s) -- there are two (2) 4-post coils on your 4.6 Litre engine. Correct coil resistance is 14-15 Ohms, measued across the 2 closest posts on each side of the coil.
If you have the factory ignition wires, replace them with Bosch Premium Mag-Core wires.
Recommended spark plugs for your engine = Bosch #9605 Iridium.
Good Luck !!

would you recommend same plugs and wires for my 2005 MGM Ultimate Edition???????
Bought my 2005 MGM with only 13,000 miles on it for $6,000.
The tires were original made in 2004. Tire guy recommended immediately replace with new tires.
The engine compartment is still like it came off the showroom floor.
Not sure if I should have all hoses wires and plugs replaced with new.... everything under the hood looks brand new.
Sorry for the thread highjack...... but thanks for any information.

95 MERC 12-16-2018 11:23 AM

Your 2005 Marquis has some engine changes from the 1995 --
Spark Plugs = Bosch # 9606 Double Iridium Type.-- Your original spark plugs should last until 75,000 - 100,000 miles.
There are no Plug Wires on the 2005 -- Each Spark Plug has it's own coil..
I wouldn't advise replacing all hoses, unless they are visibly cracked or swollen.
Those "Tire Guys" are notoriously ignorant about passenger car tires and tire maintenance.
Each person's circumstances are different, as in location, climate, speed, and load.
Best for me =
Goodyear Assurance ComforTread All Season. - 98T
Load Range "T"
Speed = 118 mph
Long distance, high-speeds, desert heat, mountain driving, all weather.
The Goodyear tires give me excellent comfort, handling, and vehicle control, as well as a smooth, quiet ride.
MOST IMPORTANT -- Get a "Computer Alignment" that gives a "print-out" of the before-and-after info.
If they don't offer a computer alignment with print-outs, GO SOMEPLACE ELSE !!