Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/)
-   -   if info is helpful pleas post results. (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/if-info-helpful-pleas-post-results-362/)

Lenny 12-06-2005 01:59 PM

If any part or all of information recieved is helpful in part or whole plPLEASE be kind enough to reply with your findings.

People will be able to access this forum for answers without neccessarilly having to type in a question.

ALL replies would be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU

Lenny

But dont mention my spelling sometimes

Edited by: Lenny

Triple_access 12-06-2005 11:36 PM

It is helpful to know that the FLYWHEEL on my 2000 2.0 cougar will only go on one way!!! i changed the moter out in my cougar, it was a stick, the moter i put in was an automatic, i kept the stick transy and to my suprise they flywheel is fixed to only go on one way, onotherthing to add, check your "wiper" settings when you try and crank your cougar, therefor it is wired in too close to the anti theft system preventing it from running, some say that if you turn your key to the "run position" and leave it 15 min's and come back and try to crank it will fire right up. didt work for me, when you turn the key on to the on position the theft light should come on for about 3 seconds the remain of, when you crank the car, the light should remain off, in my case the theft light remaind on dew to a low battery.

if you have to "unhook" your battery, PLEASE take caution and unhook the negative termanal first. and when you hook it back up, + first, since lithum atoms travel from negative to the positive side.

also there is a fuse between the altanators fat hot wire on my cougar, if you have one, check that fuse if you think your problem maybe comming from that area, the fuse is behind the intake hidding in a box with a popable top.

TIMING my car

there are 2 tools you have to have on my car, there is a screw on the side of the block behind the manifold, its a number 10, your tool goes there to time the moter. i didt use a tool, i just got my piston top dead canter by poking a screw driver down in the cylender, i had help. to take the head off of the cougar, you have to "go buy" a speacial socket to get one of the pullys of off the head, therefor you have to take the cams out before the head will remove from the car:(

the timing belt tinchener they say tightens itsself, which i got it as tighs as i could, and you dont have to take the moter mound off to get the timing belt changed! also note, when you drop the oilpan, the pistions still wont come out, theres a spacer between the pistions and oil pan thats about 4 inches thick, better of to take the moter out from the "bottom".

there is very few sincers and parts on my whole moter, there is a crank sincer located by the flywheel, an cam sinser on the head, a knock sinser on the back of the moter block, it is round and detects knocks? lol,,, there is somekinda other sincers on the back of the moter screwed into the block, i dont know what that one is? there is one on your intake and one under it, and 2 or three on the water housing, and 2 on the manual transmission and one on the top on the vaul cover,

the information i posted here i did not know when i started work on my car, therefor i wish someone had told me what i told you in this post,

if you think you need help timing a car like i did, then coatsbrian@bellsouth.net ill help you as much as i can, i said "TIMING" nothing more please[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Lenny 12-07-2005 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Triple_access]

It is helpful to know that the FLYWHEEL on my 2000 2.0 cougar will only go on one way!!! i changed the moter out in my cougar, it was a stick, the moter i put in was an automatic, i kept the stick transy and to my suprise they flywheel is fixed to only go on one way, onotherthing to add, check your "wiper" settings when you try and crank your cougar, therefor it is wired in too close to the anti theft system preventing it from running, some say that if you turn your key to the "run position" and leave it 15 min's and come back and try to crank it will fire right up. didt work for me, when you turn the key on to the on position the theft light should come on for about 3 seconds the remain of, when you crank the car, the light should remain off, in my case the theft light remaind on dew to a low battery.

Problem number 1

the pcm and ecm from manual trans does NOT support the needs for the automatic trans. or vicea/versa.

If you replace the manual trans. motor with an automatic,you MUST replace the computers. Timing,engine mapping is all different.

Is the 2.0 a Zetec motor or straight 2.0?

they have different programmed functions as well.

Triple_access 12-07-2005 09:46 PM

if i am understanding you correctly, your saying that the the brain for the moter that was oridionly in the car is programed for "that moter"

and the brain for the moter i put into the car is "programed" for that moter?

which would mean that if i swaped moters, id also have to swap brains as well, dew to the crank and cam "positions"? is this what your saying, cause it sounds like a good reasone why i am not getting fire? the moter is a ztech or whatever you call it lol, can i use the braing from the 2000 "contour" in my cougar? since my cougar has a 2000 contour moter in it now? om my god, just shoot me,,,

Lenny 12-08-2005 10:33 AM

Now your're on the right track