General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 AM

I have a 92 Mercury Grand Marquis. I am having problems getting it started. The motor turns over but it gets not spark. (I think). I replaced the fuel filter, and the ignition control module, but it still does not start. I can hear the fuel pump humming when I turn the key to start it. Please help. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 AM

First do you have a spark? Try an inductive timing light if you have one and crank the engine to see if the timing light illuminates. OR Try pulling a plug wire and use a screwdriver inserted into the boot and set it within a 1/4 of the engine block...now crank the engine. Did you see a spark jump the air gap between the screwdriver and the engine block? If yes than youhave aspark.If no spark check your cap, rotor & ohm out the coil to see if its still good. If you have a spark then you needfuel.Is your spout plug in the receptacle near the distributor? Do you have a fuel pressure gage? Hook it up to the fuel rail near thedistributor and read your pressure. Should be about 40 psi if its much lower you might have a bad regulator or restriction in the lines.Also check the wiring harness to the injectors to see if it came loose.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 AM

I will try these ideas. However, I do not think this vehicle has a distributor cap and rotor. I think it is distributorless.