General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

yet another transmission ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 PM

I''''ve read about this in some of the searches I''''ve done here, but just want to throw it on here anyway. I just bought my grandmothers one-owner 92 MGM with 85,000 miles on it...she bought it brand new May 5, 1991 as a 92 model. It sat for the past 6 months since she had a stroke. I''''ve been driving it for the past week commuting to work and all has been ok, 100 miles round trip...a couple of minor issues I''''ll have address later. Today, on my way to work out of the blue, at 50 mph, I could hear the engine rev up, but the car didn''''t accelerate. I pressed the pedal a little further, heard it rev more and it slowly sped up more. I wasn''''t far from home so I turned around and went to swap cars. From a stop, it shifted fine through first and second, but around third and OD it did it again, and shuddered...I''''ve not felt that before. I know she never has had the fluid changed so I''''m going to start there ASAP. Please tell me the transmission isn''''t gone at 85,000 miles. I am a DIYer, but I''''ve never changed transmission fluid and filter with the pan off. I''''ve been reading on here and it seems pretty straightforward. It''''s ok to use Mercon V now right? And Lucas?

Thanks guys.Edited by: greggyc

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM

first of all, was there enough fluid in the transmission? that would cause that issue. That could also be a torque converter giving out. My wife''s 93 vic needed a transmission rebuild at about 130K miles, the torque converter was giving out. also, it could be the overdrive giving out. have you tried turning the overdrive off (usually a button at the end of the gear shift). I would check the fluid level first. To do that, the car needs to be warm (at least running). hold the brake and shift it to R, let it engage, shift it to D, let it engage, then shift it back into park and check the fluid level while the car is running. the sifting is to make sure that the torque converter is filled properly. If the level is low, smell it to make sure it''s not burnt (this would indicate worn clutches that need replacing) and check the color. if it''s not a nice ruby red, then it needs to be changed. If it''s an amber color, the fluid needs to be changed. All you will need for a basic fluid change is a gasket, sealant (be very conservative with the sealant, use only the smallest bead on the pan and none on the transmission side of the gasket. also, run the bead on the inside flat around the bolt holes. you may also need to clean the old gasket off of the pan and hammer out any imperfections (denting around the bolt holes from torquing down the bolts when it was installed, this is normal). Definitely set aside a good 2-3 hours to do the job. I would suggest letting a reputable transmission shop do it since they can also let you know what else may be about to die in the transmission and give you a heads up on the potential cost.

I''m actually getting the AOD transmission in my old 88 MGM upgraded internally tomorrow (and the next day) since I have this week off. better overdrive unit, wide gear set, and the "A" solenoid for good solid shifting. This will also requite new planetary gears and clutches. But after it''s all done, it should last a good 10-20 years easily and the shop will give it a 5 year/50K mile Guarantee. I think I can live with that. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Update.....everything in my tranny was fine, fluid was fine, red, not burnt, no leaks, level ok, etc. I took it to my local trans. shop today, they have worked on my vehicles before and I trust them. Told them what happened and scheduled a fluid and filter change. They called about two hours later said the car was ready. When I got there he told me a cable had popped off under the hood, that there is a grommet that gets old and brittle with heat and age. It was causing the car to jump into neutral at 40 mph. He said if I had continued to try to drive it I would have burned out the transmission. They fixed the cable and did the fluid and filter. It runs like brand new! Only cost $87. I''m just glad it is fixed. So, just in case anyone else runs into this situation, check the cables too. I''m not too familiar with these cars under the hood, I''ve been a German car driver for the past 8 years. Thanks for the input though. I love these forums.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM

ah... the TV cable grommet.

hopefully they put the brass one on it. I''ve already done that to my car. 87_Crown_Vic pointed me here to show the part and placement. I''d do a quick double check to make sure it''s the brass one on yours so you can be sure it won''t fail.Edited by: slymer

Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM

I believe it is a brass one...I looked under the hood when I got home to see what he was talking about and I saw a brass thing that wasn''t there before in that vicinity. The car even feels like it shifts better all around. I don''t know if it was beginning to fail and caused it to shift erratically or if it was just the old original fluid or both, but it feels great, my downshifts feel right, my kick-down feels better, and I don''t feel that famous clunk anymore. I''m just glad it was $87 instead of $1500 or more.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 AM

yeah... that really helps. the upgrade to my AOD will set me back about $2000, but I plan on keeping this car for at least the next 5 years (preferably more) and it should increase my gas mileage a good deal.