Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Radio Intermittent

Old 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM

I have a 2004 Grand Marquis and the radio works intermittently. Sometimes it works perfectly for 20 minutes, then comes on and off for a few seconds at a time. Other times it goes for weeks without working. All I get is static. The search functioncan''t find stations to lock onto when it isn''t working. CD player works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a common ailment?

Also, I understand thet to remove the radio from the car you have to push stiff wires into each of the four corner holes in the radio. Before I try thisis there anything I need to know?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM

pull it out and make sure the antenna connector is fully shoved into it''s port. sounds like that may be loose.

if you have a power antenna, you may want to check the connection at the drive unit as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM

oh yeah... they actually make ford radio removal tools that you can get cheap at most parts places. They are shaped like a U to effectually give you two handles to pull with.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Thanks!

I''ll search out the removal tool. The odd thing about the intermittent nature of the problem was that as I drove home (about 25-minute drive) it would usually start losing the signal at the same point on the freeway. First I thought it was because I was going under a bridge, but then I realized it was more to do with how long I had been driving.

I live in the desert, (Phoenix) so I thought maybe it was temperature related, but I can''t correlate the weather with the problem. The problem has persisted in the heat of summer and cool (50''s) of winter.

I''ll get the tool and check out the connector as you suggest andI''ll post the results.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Didn''t need the tool. I just cut 4 pieces of coat hanger wire about 4" long and curled them over into a loopat oneend, so that I wouldn''t stick myself with them. I then just pusheda wire into each of the four holes on the face of the radio, as far asI could insert them. Then I just wiggled the radio loose. It came out easily. It has 3 connectors and the antenna wire on the back.

I didn''t find anything wrong with my radio connections, though. The radio just works when it feels like it, for up to about 20 minutes, and when it doesn''t it just gives out a static, no-reception,hiss. Guess I need a new 2003 model year CD/radio.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

or an aftermarket radio and wire-harness. does sound like there''s something electrically bad internally to the radio.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM

In a recent search I found someone with the EXACT same problem. There was no solution there, either. I think this radio probably has a design weakness, which makes me wary of replacing it with a used one. Remanufactured units are $200+, if you can find one.....Think I''ll check the aftermarket options.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Final note (I think): I found a scrap yard (excuse me, "Automotive Recycler") who had an OEMradio for $100-$125, depending on which sales rep answered the phone. They let me connect it up to the car. The radio worked perfectly........confirming my original radio is faulty.

Unfortunately, the CD wasn''t working. I think the wind-blown Arizona desert sand might have had something to do with it. Anyhow, Ihave now confirmedthatthe problemis, in fact, theradio.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM

good luck on getting an aftermarket setup. Personally I''m hoping to get a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492 for my car. Since I already have a kenwood deck in there, it''ll be a cinch to swap out... no wiring, the old harness will work like a charm.