Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1995 marquis egr code

Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Default 1995 marquis egr code

recently bought a 95 grand marquis after it sat awhile. It has thrown the inefficient flow code twice now. while looking under the hood I noticed a wire off near the fuel rail on the passenger side. I don't see where this goes. I assume it is an option the car didn't come with. I also noticed while looking for the egr valve what looks like an open port. like the upper intake didn't match or something. I included pics but they are poor as it was getting dark out. the open port just goes under the intake into nothing. But there is a gasket there.

Help on where to start with this appreciated.

pics awaiting approval of a moderator

Last edited by mikeasis; 08-07-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM

The "odd" wire with connector on the passenger's side, near the fuel rail, doesn't connect to anything on the '95 Grand Marquis GS model. I just tuck the<br />wire connector behind the fuel rail so it looks nice and neat.<br />As for the EGR valve issue --<br />Send the exact code # for the "insufficient flow", as there can be different flow problems that are not related to the EGR valve itself.<br />I got an "insufficient flow" code that indicated a problem with the EGR valve, but the EGR valve was never removed or replaced.<br />There was a blockage in the EGR system, but it wasn't in the EGR valve -- the blockage was in a passage on the back side of the throttle body.<br />Early models had a metal-based EGR controller (DPFE sensor) that has been replaced by a tough plastic part, which runs much cooler, with less problems.<br />In order to get at the EGR system parts for removal, it will save a lot of time and troubles by first removing the entire windshield-wiper housing from the vehicle.<br />Then, you will be able to see, reach, and access the parts that bolt onto the back of the throttle body, such as the DPFE sensor.<br />The "open port" that you describe is a puzzlement. I can't find anything like that on my '95 MERC<br />Send some good (daytime, and/or lighted) pictures of the exact area in question, please.<br />My '95 MERC restoration now has 156,500 miles on the clock -- starts immediately, idles smoothly, and accelerates quickly.<br />Fuel mileage = 16 city, 25 highway.<br />I do all my own work -- unless it takes welding, or requires specialty tools that I don't have..<br />I use Motorcraft parts whenever they are available.<br />RockAuto.com has excellent prices..<br />.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-08-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM

ill get pics and or video if it can be uploaded. I feel better about the harness thing. ill report back when I hook up the scanner and get the exact code and those pics