Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2000 Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 03:51 AM

I have a Grand Marquis which I truely love. There are some issues I have thought and thought maybe some of you's can help me. Is it me or is the mercurys steering seem so sensitive. My 2001 2003 cars(different make) seem so much tighter then the grand marquis.I installed new shocks on all 4,but darn once u hit a bump or hole(expecially when going arnd a corner). You really need to be ready for it. Last is, I have a squeek I can get rid of from the front end, when I push the car up and down on the rs and sqeeks and when I move the steering wheel back and forth it squeeks. Sprayed WD-40 on all of the joints which I mech told me to do and didnt help. Any insight please????

Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 PM

power steering going bad??

Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 PM

you need a grease gun to lube up all the ball joints and tie rods the have a little nipple you grease them there!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 02:58 AM

That's odd, I too have a squeak in my steering wheel on my 2003 GM LS. It seems to be inside the steering wheel itself. The Haynes Manual shows how to disassemble the wheel (you have to make sure to disconnect the battery first and wait two minutes due to the airbag.) I'm thinking of taking at least the front cover of the wheel off to expose its hub and spray it with silicone lubricant.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:02 PM

yes .. lukskywalker . i am an owner of </span>Grand Marquis '99 and steering seem so sensitive and i love it[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] . its the most thine that i love about this car . it make the handling so easy you can turn the steering with one finger . make this big sedan easy handling in small and mountin road . its not good in the highway too sensitive .[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

2001 - 2005 have hard shocks . 99 and 2000 have better ride qulity in highway and i have changed my shocks and they are not hard enough . this car is not good with bumps [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2006, 10:23 PM

I think Ford made improvements to suspension and steering for 2003 because I don't think I have those problems. My 2003 GM's steering is pretty soft, but I like that 70's feel on the wheel and I don't have thehandling problems.The steering feels very soft,but it does feel like it has complete control over the car at the same time. The steering wheelstiffens slightly on the highway so obviously they've added speed sensitive steering for 2003. I got the squeaks like you do, though. The sqeaks are in thefront suspensionand in the steering wheel. I resolved the issue with the squeak in the steering wheel, however and I didn't have to take it apart either. I just took the knee panel off from underneath the column to reach the o-ring on the steering wheelrod right where it passes through the metal plate behind the dash and sprayed the ring with silicone. I also sprayed the other o-ring on the steering wheel rod at the point it enters the firewall (behind the pedals).No more steering wheel squeaks!!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by lukskywalker

I have a Grand Marquis which I truely love. There are some issues I have thought and thought maybe some of you's can help me. Is it me or is the mercurys steering seem so sensitive. My 2001 2003 cars(different make) seem so much tighter then the grand marquis.I installed new shocks on all 4,but darn once u hit a bump or hole(expecially when going arnd a corner). You really need to be ready for it. Last is, I have a squeek I can get rid of from the front end, when I push the car up and down on the rs and sqeeks and when I move the steering wheel back and forth it squeeks. Sprayed WD-40 on all of the joints which I mech told me to do and didnt help. Any insight please????

I had the same squeaky problems. The problem disappeared after replacing both lower ball joints and both outer tierod ends.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:36 PM

My 1996 GM had the same symptoms. The problem was cured by replacing both lower balljoints and both outer tierod ends.

I had the same squeaky problems. The problem disappeared after replacing both lower ball joints and both outer tierod ends.

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Whatever you do, don't spray WD-40 on any suspension parts. WD-40 is a penetrating oil not a lubricantand will wreak havoc on rubber or neoprene bushings in your front end. Grease all fittings and if you must, use an aerasolspray on white litheum grease.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Don't use WD-40, use silicone based lubricant.

Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Marquis