Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

90 Grand Marquis Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM

I have a 90 grand marquis and i recently moved the startersolonoid to the firewall. after doing this the car never started again.it turns over. has fuel, just no spark. if anyone can help, it would be VERY appricatied. i need an ignition diagram.

also does anyone have the names for all the fuses in the fuse box?

thanx!Edited by: merccenduro442

Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

do you have all the wires connected? i know the slip on red wire that slides on the lug of the solenoid is a major thing that needs to be connected. with it not connected, the engine will turn but not start up and run.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM

yeah. everything that i can see is all connected.

its more complex of a problem.

thats why im looking for a ignition diagram or any diagram to help.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM

how much volts are at the solonoid? how many at the battery? how many at the starter and distributor?

you need to test this first before driving yourself crazy. when you were doing this switch over did the car run at all? sometimes when doing ignition stuff you can send a surge to the distributor making it go bad. check the distributor or the coil. my guess is the distributor surge that made it go out. This is only if you are sure everything else is connected the correct way. again, check the volts, I bet it is the distributor.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 PM

I have an 1989 Granmarquis, after I rebuilt the engine it didn''t want to start. So I started to do everythingand it would not start. I even brought a another computer from the junk yard and still no go. So what idid is to take out the first spark plug and brought the # 1 piston to the top. From there I put my distributor rotor to the # 1 wire on the distributor cap and the car then went on. From there i knew that i was in the right track because after that i put the car on the right timing and haven''t had problem ever since. Before i forget i too didn''t get a spark in my plugs. So, try the free way before you go and spent money. Also i am not an experience merchanicbut i know a few tricks.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Pdman is on the richt track. do everything else first before spending money.

was this a relocation kit? or did you put it together

Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM

I will start all over my 1989 granmarquis has coil pack that goes to the distributor. I think you can test this coil with a spark tester. This coil pack gives spark to the spark plug and went I disconnect this coil in my car it won''t start. It sounds like the same problem you are having now. Also, if you go toyour public Library you can take out theChilton''s book for ford 1989-93 repair manual and go to chapter #2,it shows you the diagrams and how to test coil.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 PM

autozone tests them for free. they will test high and low ohms. this is important because it can look like it is running but it may not be working at the low ohms and only on the high ohms. they test these for free. Just bring it in and let them know Conan sent you.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]