Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

98 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Default 98 Engine Swap

Hello!

I'm new to the 4.6L Modular V8 and I'm wondering what options I have for swapping in another motor. Long story on the old motor but it had an epic failure, no compression and I'm rather sure a cracked head. All the accessories are ok, I just need another core motor (block/heads). I wandered the local yard and they told me only a 97-98 will swap in but as I walked it looked like dozens of other models and years have the same motor.

Some local car guys I've talked to say any 4.6L Modular V8 from any year will work. Is that true?

Thanks!

Josh
Flagstaff, AZ

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Default '98 Mercury Engine Swap

Walker H-Pipe; MagnaFlow #18134 Glasspacks; Walker Tailpipes.

Snorkle Removed. Cold Air From Behind Headlight. K&N Flat Filter.

If you can, get a motor from another '98 Grand Marquis -- the swap will be VERY much quicker, easier, and cheaper than using a different 4.6 Liter motor.
You should be able to find a '98 Grand Marquis motor in Phoenix -- plenty of auto recyclers there.
Earlier engines had different ignition and fuel delivery systems - not compatible with the '98.
Better to spend a few bucks to get the correct engine than waste a ton of time, energy, and money trying to make a different year engine start up and run right.
The '98 Grand Marquis is a highway cruiser -- NOT a hot rod -- best bet is to stay close to the "stock" engine.
Suggested modifications:
Dual exhaust -- Walker H-Pipe; MagnaFlow 2" glasspacks (#18134); Walker Tailpipes.
K&N Air Filter in stock air box, with snorkle removed -- replaced with 3" i.d. aluminum ducting.
Bosch Double-Iridium Spark Plugs #9606

Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Hi 95 MERC!

Thanks for the response. Since I have the ignition and fuel delivery (already marked,labeled, and removed) from my 98, can't I just bolt it on to another year motor? I'm not looking to build a hot rod, my girl has an emotional attachment to the vehicle (It was her late grandfather's) and I'm just trying to get it running again. I've already pulled the dead motor. I'm pretty sure there's a crack in the passenger side head over the 3rd cyl spark plug. Due to how epic the motor overheated, I'm not thinking it would be a good rebuild prospect.

I'll take a look at the Phoenix yards. The Flagstaff U Pick It doesn't allow torches or air tools. I'd love to find one local but pulling one with just an A frame and what I can carry doesn't sound like a good time.

Thanks,

Josh
Flagstaff, AZ

Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM

Go for it, Josh !!
If you already have the fuel and ignition systems detached and labeled, you should be good to go.