Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   airbag beepin maybe? really annoying! (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/airbag-beepin-maybe-really-annoying-3510/)

srch4aresn 11-01-2009 01:06 AM

airbag beepin maybe? really annoying!

hi all. my mercury is beeping near the airbag and its really annoying. i looked up what it could be and i found out that the airbag will beep in 5 beat increments to tell you theres a problem. what mine doing is like trying to beep 5 times but it sounds like theres a short that is causing it to lose connection and it cracks up. i uploaded what it sounds like

think u need itunes to hear it
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MOTKX0KR

Atlas 11-04-2009 09:29 PM

hey, the same thing happens to me too, it doesn't happen all the time but it does sound exactly the same as yours.

slymer 11-05-2009 06:55 PM

I've searched high and low on the net for info on the airbag systems. Basically if you have any issues with the system, you're going to have to go to a dealer to get it fixed. Some have shared some info for certain vehicles about certain codes, but nobody seems eager to confirm or deny how to do things to the system. I can't even get a straight answer out of people about what codes the airbag system on a 93 vic uses. My wife's 93 vic occasionally blinks out 23 (usually after a good rain and it's really humid). I've found varying details about what it could be, but each list says it's something different and no list is for the specific car (usually explorers or rangers is what I find). It's like they don't want you to mess with the safety systems.

maxfax3 11-05-2009 08:06 PM

The beeps occur when there is a fault and the airbag light is inoperative.. Airbag codes are retrieved by counting the flashes of the airbag light, except on some of the newer stuff... What year is your car...

Slymer, Code 23 = Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open...

The safing sensor is the one behind the kick panel on the driver side, here's the diagnostic rundown.....

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/ab23xps1.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/ab23xps2.jpg

slymer 11-06-2009 05:44 PM

thanks. Maybe just a wire harness contact that needs cleaning then. Is it safe to disconnect the safing sensor without diabling the system? If not, how exactly would one disable the system?

maxfax3 11-06-2009 09:31 PM

It could just be the connection, but don;t ruel out the sensor.. My '91 CV acts about the same and has a code fro a front impact sensor.. The terminals and wiring seem fine, I suspect the sensor itself is fruity...

I have connected and disconnected compontents of the airbag system without disarming and never had a problem, but in reality it's not a real great idea..

To disarm just unhook your battery for about 5-10 mins.. Ford says to also disconnect the airbags themselves but once the battery is disconnected and the backup battery is drained you'll be fine...

014EVER 11-09-2009 09:56 PM

Strange you guys would be talking about this: My 01 needs a "occupant weight sensor" on the passenger side.... Its giving the 1-9 code on the dash...anybody know where I could get one and/or install? I am trying to avoid the dealer...............I avoid them like the plague

maxfax3 11-10-2009 01:23 AM

I don;t blame you one bit!

Ebay, or some of the other vendors on the web may have them.. You may also want to do a search for "Ford Parts Direct" They are ford dealers selling parts at a discounted price via the web..

AS far as replacing one of those that's a different story.. Basically you have to tear the whole seat apart (the cover, the foam, etc) and I *think* they have to be calibrated after installation... I've never personally replaced one, but I guess they are a real PITA.. Inspect the wiring under that seat closely, maybe you'll get lucky and something may have just damaged that....

014EVER 11-10-2009 05:32 PM

thanks Max...
I called the dealer just to check the price($221) and he said they are not made anymore..... So I have got to find the problem.. I did a quick check under the seat and there is a hanging connector but there is no where to connect it( would it be some kind of diagnostic connector under there?) I'm going to look again i'm also going to take picture and post it.....

014EVER 11-12-2009 04:16 PM

As I did some internet research...It may not be the sensor I wrote about..Code 19 has different meanings... I'm stuck while still avoiding the dealer

maxfax3 11-12-2009 04:30 PM

As per Alldata

2001 MGM Lamp Flash Code 19 (Body Code B2293)
"Restraint System- Airbag Status Driver Front Airbag Circuit Failure"

The short definition is that there is a break in the circuit between the air bag itself on the steering wheel and the restraint control module (RCM).. Most likely the problem is the "clock spring"..

Let me get some of the diag info together and I can post it up here for you...

014EVER 11-12-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxfax3 (Post 12287)
As per Alldata

2001 MGM Lamp Flash Code 19 (Body Code B2293)
"Restraint System- Airbag Status Driver Front Airbag Circuit Failure"

The short definition is that there is a break in the circuit between the air bag itself on the steering wheel and the restraint control module (RCM).. Most likely the problem is the "clock spring"..

Let me get some of the diag info together and I can post it up here for you...

Thanks beforehand, max
is the "clockspring" a DIY or Pro job?

slymer 11-13-2009 12:25 PM

depeds on if you need to remove it or not. special tools are required.

014EVER 11-27-2009 03:42 PM

Hey Max,
Got the clockspring changed today....IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM....$150 down the tube to nowhere but at least I got a new clockspring.....Mechanic says it's the seatbelt...a short not closing the loop.....Is this a DIY?? Can I check the problem myself?

maxfax3 12-13-2009 10:32 PM

Sorry about that, had I gotten around to get the diag posted we could have tested that for sure.. IN the 40 some pages of diag info on that code, there is a section pertaining to the seat belt system.. Generally though seat belt issues are lamp code 33/34 for the pre tensioners, and 51/52 for the buckle switch.. At least now that it has been read with a scan tool you can be sure..

Did he specify if it was the switch in the seat belt buckle, or the seat belt pre-tensioner? My educated guess would be it's a failed pre tensioner but as you know I have been wrong before.. (Sorry again!)

You may want to check as there was a recall issued on some early 2001 Grand Marquis, Town Car, Crown Vic, and Windstars pertaining to the restraint system.. Apparently a flaw in the module could activate an airbag or pretensioner upon startup...

AS far as checking the seat belt buckle switch, there should be a plug at the base of the buckle with 2 wires.. You will need some means of checking for continuity.. (an ohm meter would work) With the seat belt connected the switch in the buckle should be closed (or on)..

Testing the pre tensioner is a tad different.. The pre tensioner is part of the seat belt retractor assembly.. It contains an explosive charge... Since you don;t want to risk deploying the thing hooking it up to an ohm meter is a BAD idea.. First and foremost the air bag system woudl have to be deactivated before connecting/disconnecting anything (unhook the battery and wait 10 mins) The procedure is generally to check the harness itself between the control module and the pre tensioner.. If the harness checks okay there is a shunt that plugs in to where the pre tensioner connects and simulates it for the control module.. The procedure there is to install the shunt and see if the code goes away.. If the code does clear it's the pre tensioner, if not it's the module... They of course are not real specific about what's in teh shunt (my guess is a resistor of a similar value to the pre tensioner)

Replacing the buckle is pretty easy.. Unbolt and unplug the buckle, reverse to install.. The bolt is to take a special socket but IIRC a large torx bit will work on them..

THe pretensioner is a bit more involved.. Deactivate the airbag (unhook battery and wait 10 mins).. The panel over the B-post that the seat belt retractos is behind has to be removed.. The loop at the top of the b-post where the should strap goes though, the end of the belt near the floor, and the retractor assembly need to be unbolted.. These all have the funky bolt as well.. There will also be a 2 wire plug to disconnect...

srch4aresn 06-04-2010 11:29 PM

i know this is an old thread, but is there a connector i can disconnect in order to STOP the beeping?? i love my car and how it looks and everything about it but this beeping is making me not want to even drive it! its ok if it doesn't work but i just want to STOP THE BEEPING

Runner92 07-02-2010 12:34 PM

Does anyone know where the airbag audio alarm is? Can it be disabled?
92 Grand Marqius / I just bought the car and the airbag light was flashing so I thought I would outsmart the system and take the bulb out, now it beeps. I really hate to be bested by a car. I am an old school guy and have driven old Chevy trucks all my life. This is the newest car I have ever owned, I dont need an airbag, and am not interested in getting it fixed. I just want the beeping to go away.