Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Airbag Update - More Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 AM

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Clean family owned since new. Never in any accident big or small. No rust. Mostly in Arizona and Florida.

I found the airbag module behind the glove box. Only one airbag in 1992 - no passenger airbag. Remove plastic wood molding from dash - left to right long molding, snap in/out. Remove passenger vent. Remove plastic covering (where the passenger airbag would have been). Remove glove box liner (and there is one screw on bottom left - glove box door open -that is almost impossibe to get to).

There are two connectors that come off. I think press small tab and pull. Getting the blue module took a lot of thinking as to remove it. I saw no connectors or screws. I finally pulled it straight down from metal clip/tab/holder. It came right out.

I did clean terminals as stated in other post with correct electronic spray. Male and female connectors. Clean and put module back in and still code 13 flashing.

I have sent the module to a place that ''rebuilds'' them for around $50.00 plus shipping. airbagsystems.com I am now waiting for the return of module.

My Question now is. What else? What could have caused Code 13 to flash? Something must have tripped the module or was it just the module itself wearing out? They state that there is an internal fuse that has to be replaced. But if this fuse tripped, what caused it? If anything. I''d hate to put this fixed module back in and have that trip if there is some other problem.

One mechanic mentioned the "clock spring". I have no idea what this is or how to get it replaced or if it can be replaced or if this is the actual cause. Again, any suggestions as to what caused module to blink code 13?

Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks.