Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Anyone believe in these performance chips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Default Anyone believe in these performance chips?

I dont know much about them. I did order one but not sure I will install it. Im concerned it will set off the check engine light or something else. Has anyone used such a product and had a noticeable increase in performance?. The ebay listing has a claim or 150+ HP for under $20 bucks. For me, its hard to believe this chip gives such power. The same seller sells chips for many different cars. The ebay item listed below. Anyone with knowledge of the pros and cons please share it.
Thanks and I appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180491764731

Last edited by Limoguy; 04-09-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM

i bought one. doesn't do anything, don't waste your money

Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Well, I did buy one but I intend to return it for a Full refund. Just waiting for the stupid thing in the mail

Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM

ya i was unsure at first as well, but after reading hundreds of great feedback i tried it out, but it didn't do ANYTHING

Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Im happy with the power of my GM as it is but I was willing to give this chip a shot for the $20 bucks. It seems some people saw a difference. Most people will not post a negative feedback on ebay for fear of receiving one back from the seller. I wont post anything, just refund me or a will contact paypal!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

"The ebay listing has a claim or 150+ HP for under $20 bucks". Think there's is supposed to be the words up & to in front of the 150+ You can get better performance but it wont cost $20. The real system programmers are $300+ but remember you'll sacrifice MPG for HP. Just drop in a DOHC out of a Mark8 It's mind over matter with a lot of the $20 customer claims. If you believe it. It becomes real. The old saying as a man thinketh,he is. Carries a lot of truth.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM

Well, I did buy one but I intend to return it for a Full refund. Just waiting for the stupid thing in the mail
Term papers

Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Most of the time when they try and sell these kind of "chips" its a rip off. Most of the time its a module that connects to the oxygen sensor and is "supposed" to increase the voltage to the computer which will tell the computer whether or not to run the engine rich or lean. These chips are rip-offs. If your gonna buy a chip you need to buy a "WELL KNOWN" chip that plugs directly into the PCM, then the computer will regulate the engine how ever you need and it can be tuned usually on a Dyno. I was offered the chance to do that when I had mine on the Dyno and the Grand Marquis could be tuned to the Marauder, Interceptor, or Mustang. But be VERY CAREFUL where you buy these chips from because they can mess up your PCM, then your screwed

Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM

CHIPS !?? If you're hungry, get a bag of Fritos !!

If you're thinking about getting one of those 70-dollar cheapos, FORGET IT !!
I bought one and installed it EXACTLY per the instructions.
I tested it by driving through the Rocky Mountains on a 2,000 mile trip; with an ACTRON OBDII scanner - code-reader installed.
I recorded all fuel used to two(2) decimal places (00.00)
After the test, I found that there was NO improvement in fuel mileage, and there was NO improvement in performance (measured with G-Tech Pro).
I unhooked the "chip" and cut it open to see the innards.
SURPRISE !! There is NO "CHIP" inside !!
Just a cheap resistor that fools the car's computer into thinking that the engine needs more fuel -- which doesn't work, because the oxygen sensors actually control the fuel-air ratio.
The so-called "chip" spends it's time confusing the computer, and accomplishing NOTHING !!
They DID refund my money, but YOU may not be so lucky !!