Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Converting from Wires to Coil Over Plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Anyone ever head of/done such a thing??? I have a 96 I''m considering trying it on.. When the intake took a crap right on que the dorman replacement (with the aluminum crossover) had the tabs on for mounting the coils.. I know the ecm fires each coil individually on the 98''s and up.. The earlier one''s utilized a waste spark system (fires one coil but 2 plugs) I''m not really sure I want to swap ECM and wiring from a later model, but if I would wire the coils together for each 2 cylinders that fire together and connect them to the existing Harnes (connect the coils for cyl #1 and #6 to the wire that fired the #1 ignition coil on the original getup and so on) it just may work...

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Anyone?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:22 AM

I''ve never heard of anyone doing this without dropping in a crate motor. I would think it could be done, but you''d have to make sure that all the sensor locations and such are the same and have to swap out the ECM and the wiring since it''s different. Basically you need to weigh your options. do you want to go through that much rewiring work to get the desired result. and do you want to spend that much time re-engineering the system to be able to use the current ECM. I''d stick with what you''ve got already unless you''re planning on doing a complete engine swap.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:43 AM

I'''', just lookingat this as an upgrade for my exhisting engine.., the replacement intake already has the provisions to mount the coils.. Swapping ecm and harness may be the best way of doing this, but I still have to wonder if I couldn;t just connect the individual coils to the exhisting harness... Esentually the only wiring required would be using the harness from just the coils on the DI model, connecting the companion cylinders (the ones that share a coil on the existing getup)together, and connecting the pairsto where the exisitng coils connect... I;m not sure if the ECM will be happy about this or not, I scooped up some coiles and the parts of the wiring harness I need off a 2000 at the boneyard... Guess we''ll see what smokes first, tires or electronics.. I got a spare 96 parts car just in case....Edited by: maxfax3