Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Cant get 98 marquis to star.. Please help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/cant-get-98-marquis-star-please-help-3430/)

a-rod98merc 09-30-2009 05:10 PM

Cant get 98 marquis to star.. Please help

I have a 98 marquis and I cant get it to start up. Iv put in a brand new alternator, new battery, new terminals, and i'v tested all of the fuses and it still wont start. If i jump the car it will only run for a few minutes and the battery gauge just slowly goes down untill it dies then won't start again unless jumped. If anyone knows a solution please help

MJB DIGITAL 10-01-2009 04:47 PM

bump

im interested in this.

sorry i dont have a solution

mitch

slymer 10-01-2009 05:31 PM

something is probably shorted. are all the wires connected to the right places? If the new parts are not defective that is. I've seen battery short out on load before as well. try jumping it without the battery hooked up and see if it does the same thing. If it stays running, it's a bum battery. If it dies faster, the battery isn't the problem and is probably the alternator or possibly even the starter/solenoid. you might feel around and see if the wires going to/from the starter, batter, alternator, etc are hot. That would point to the possibility of a short or defective part.

a-rod98merc 10-01-2009 11:58 PM

well iv took the alternator as well as the battery off and went got them tested at pep boys and there both in working order, and the wires don't feel hot, i'm really confused and really wanna drive my car again. Any more suggestions? I'm stumped:confused:

slymer 10-02-2009 04:21 PM

it has to be an electrical problem due to the fact that you have to jump it to get it going again. something is really dragging down the system. This is what leads me to believe that the starter is part of the problem (or the wires to it). If the starter is remaining hot or remains engaged to the flywheel, it could cause this condition (though I've never seen it personally - usually it's a lack of engagement). You might need to check the ignition module and coils as well. If you've got over 100K miles on it, you may need to replace wires and plugs. But first thing that needs to be found is the load that killing the battery. once that load is fixed/removed, it should run properly.

maxfax3 10-02-2009 06:59 PM

If you have access to a volt meter I think the next thing to check voltage drop on the battery cables and the wire from the alternator.. Plus you can monitor if and how well the alt is charging on the car... Is this something that just happened all of a sudden?

a-rod98merc 10-06-2009 11:51 PM

alright well i finally got my marquis back the other day, turns out it was a chip behind my gauges were the wire connected right.