Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   grand marquis shakes when it shifts (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/grand-marquis-shakes-when-shifts-5022/)

srch4aresn 09-09-2010 04:06 PM

grand marquis shakes when it shifts

so its gotten more aggressive as time goes... now when the car shifts around like 40mph i get this violent shake throughout the car. like if im at a red light and going up to 45 mph, when it shifts at 40 it'll shake, but if i'm going 30mph and then floor it to like 60+ it wont do it.

any ideas?

87_Crown_Vic 09-09-2010 11:27 PM

when was last time the car has head the fuel filter changed or a tune-up? another thing... description such as year helps too...

Lowkey 09-10-2010 01:58 PM

Probably 2nd Gen Marquis. My 93' does the same thing, can't figure out the problem. :(

srch4aresn 09-10-2010 10:12 PM

lol sorry i forgot the specs.. 1993 grand marquis LS 56k miles. i've had it for about a year and an old lady had it before me. i haven't had a tune up on it, it runs just fine... besides this problem

srch4aresn 09-10-2010 10:15 PM

lowkey have you looked into it at all or ruled out any options it COULDNT be? i just kinda assumed it was something to do with the transmission.... low fluid or something i dunno

Lowkey 09-12-2010 11:12 PM

I read on a website once that if you put some stop-slip in your tranny it'll make it stop, so I dropped the pan, cleaned it out real good, changed the filter inside, sealed it back up, put some tranny fluid in and a whole bottle of stop slip.. cranked her up.. got to 35 and KKRRRGGGG *SHAKE**SHAKE*SHAKE*

srch4aresn 09-13-2010 10:34 AM

damn. its real frustrating. i just dont want my transmission to go because i know thats a pretty penny. plus that would lead me into paying more for the ac/tranny than i did for the car itself.

oh what to do, what to do. luckily my girls dad is a mechanic so it'll have him check it out

87_Crown_Vic 09-13-2010 05:32 PM

i am guessing that the transmission pressure needs adjusted and is too low and many times tune-up and fuel filter can help too... i know people thought my transmission was the issue but instead needed tune-up and fuel filter...

pancholin 03-05-2011 12:48 AM

My 96 MGM had that problem too, transmission fluid was changed, including the one inside the torque converter, no more shaking. Well, I am sure you did that already.

rreitz 03-05-2011 01:36 PM

You might also want to check the driveshaft universal joints. I had shaking/vibration at certain speeds and shaking upon shifting (along with an annoying squeak when shifting) and this is what it turned out to be.

Bulldozer 03-05-2011 11:04 PM

Those responding to this thread, do you realize it is 6 months old?

rreitz 03-05-2011 11:17 PM

Good point. It's helpful to post what the solution was when found to prevent needless posts and to educate others on the solution.

pancholin 03-07-2011 01:26 AM

I second that ''rreitz''. 6 months or 1 year, as long as the thread is open it does not hurt to keep posting possible solutions. If original poster does not let us (forum users) know what the solution was then we would think the problem still exist.

TheMaskman 03-08-2011 02:20 AM

the engine just boggs down and has no power if your on the throttle more then 50%. light throttle there are no problems and it runs fine. heavy throttle and you lose everything. If original poster does not let us (forum users) know what the solution was then we would think the problem still exist.

pancholin 03-10-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheMaskman (Post 15495)
the engine just boggs down and has no power if your on the throttle more then 50%. light throttle there are no problems and it runs fine. heavy throttle and you lose everything. If original poster does not let us (forum users) know what the solution was then we would think the problem still exist.

TheMaskman...... was that a question? or just fooling around by repeating my words?

billccm 03-29-2011 09:28 PM

There has been several TSB that address 'tranmission shift shudder', and it is usually caused by the torque converter slippage.

A basic pan drop, fluid drain, filter replacement, and top off with Mercon should fix your problem. Personally, I recommend staying away from FLUSH machines. These cause particles and dirt to blow into areas that could cause future trans damage.

Let us know how you make out, Bill

jjuules70 02-16-2022 02:10 AM