Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

How important is Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor selection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Default How important is Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor selection?

Watched an instructional video on YouTube explaining how to replace the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. At the end of the video, he explained that you “need to be careful when selecting an FRP sensor, as you may be tempted to go with a cheap aftermarket alternative which will lead to problems down the road”

I’m seeing an FRP sensor labeled “Actual OE” for $35 on Rockauto. The WELLS alternative is $78. Autozone wants $119 for the Duralast FRP sensor.

They all look to be the exact same part- unless the website is just using the same photos over for convenience. Is this something I can look to save money on? Or will it actually mess up my vehicle.

thanks!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM

I have driven The '95 MERC for 13 years -- now at 159,400 miles.-- restoration and modifications made with both Motorcraft and aftermarket parts.
My experiences with parts changing, and the comparison between Motorcraft and Aftermarket parts have shown repeatedly that the Motorcraft parts generally work better and last longer than the aftermarket parts.
It's getting harder to find Motorcraft parts for the older Mercs -- RockAuto and Amazon.com have been the best parts sources.

AutoZone's prices are crazy -- avoid buying hard parts there.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 95 MERC
I have driven The '95 MERC for 13 years -- now at 159,400 miles.-- restoration and modifications made with both Motorcraft and aftermarket parts.
My experiences with parts changing, and the comparison between Motorcraft and Aftermarket parts have shown repeatedly that the Motorcraft parts generally work better and last longer than the aftermarket parts.
It's getting harder to find Motorcraft parts for the older Mercs -- RockAuto and Amazon.com have been the best parts sources.

AutoZone's prices are crazy -- avoid buying hard parts there.
I not think Motorcraft made FRP sensors for this year/model. I cannot find them online anywhere. RockAuto, Amazon and CARiD all carry other brands. It’s saying that the Bosch Sensor is the actual OE, so that’s the one I ordered.

Ive only owned this vehicle for a little over a month and a half, and have been trying to go with Motorcraft for everything. Just doesn’t seem to exists in this instance unfortunately

Old 10-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Default Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

You should be good-to-go with the Bosch parts -- I have had great success with the Bosch brand.

"Mag-Core" Ignition Wires.
130-Amp Alternator
Iridium Spark Plugs