Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Instrument cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM

I can''''t find this in any particular search. Is it major difficult to remove the speedometer cluster on a ''''92 MGM without digital? The haynes manual shows to remove the steering wheel and a bunch of other stuff. My rolling odometer just stopped yesterday and I want to repair it myself but don''''t want to have to take out everthing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Dealership mentioned a new cluster but that''''s $$$$! Pointless to me if mine can be repaired. I just need to know the easiest way to remove it. Even if I have to send it out to someone else.
Thank you

Edited by: greggyc

Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM

C''mon now, I know you guys have some tips for this.
thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 PM

I bet it''s the odometer''s planetary gear. I had to replace that in my wife''s 93 vic. it''s a 26 tooth gear that cannot be found. you''ll have to make your own. I used one from an RC shop along with some metal tubing that fit inside to shim it to the correct spindle size and then used a grinder to plane it down to the right thickness. crude as anything, but it worked. getting the cluster out (if you have tilt) doesn''t require removing the steering wheel (though that would make it a load easier). First pull off the fake wood trim to reveal the screws. remove the ***** from the headlight switch (turn on the headlights so the switch is all the way out and use a small screwdriver on the notched part of the base to push the catch back to release the outer ****. then pull the inner **** off. once you get the screws off the plastic panel that goes all the way across (don''t forget the two above the guages), pull that piece out of the way. remove the mounting screws for the instrument cluster. You will need to set the parking brake, put the gear lever ALL the way down to get it out of the way, tilt the wheel ALL the way down to help in wiggling the cluster free, and be mindful of the cable connected to the gear shift indicator. remove the bottom of the steering column shroud to get access to the cable to unhook it from the gear shifter. then pull the cluster out enough to get a hand behind it to disconnect the wire harnesses. then you can disassemble the cluster to get the speedo out. you will need an OEM socket (7/32) to disassemble the cluster (if it''s the same as the 93). The cluster should be all electric, just not digital. and disassembling the speedometer is a huge pain. pay VERY good attention to where each screw goes and how what went where when taking it apart or you''ll never get it back together correctly.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 PM

come on man... gimme a chance to click the post button. sometimes the guys with the answers are busy with other stuff [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Thank you VERY much!!!!! I''ll probably send it somewhere to get it fixed, I''ve found a couple of places that will do it and guarantee their work. My last car I sent the cluster to Canada for a refurb...well worth the wait to have it done right. The trip odo still works but it''s just a matter of time before it quits. This was my grandmother''s one-owner car so I want to keep the mileage accurate. Thanks again.
Happy Holidays to all!!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 12:11 PM

ah... so there''s a different gear that''s lost teeth in yours. And yeah, best to let those who really know how to do it get it done if you can afford it. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 AM

@GREGxxx

Don''t worry, you can buy replacement gears, there are many places which sell them. But they run about $40 each (you need 2), which totals up to about $80.

For about $125, you can have a speedometer shop do the work. That includes testing all other instruments, and warranty.

http://www.speedometer.com/ford_lincoln_mercury.html

Greetings!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM

I have to get another fixed, so I pulled up my saved links (too many), forgive the delay.

Here is the gear which you can buy:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/tn_lg-gear-021a.jpg[/img]

And here is where you can get it:

http://www.speedometerrepair.com/

Again, I would consider the repair option.

Greetings!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Wow, you guys are a gold mine of information! Some of my car club members have been searching for ages to find someone to repair speedometers and clusters. I''m going to be a hero! (I''ll give you the credit though).

Old Pimpin

Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM

I sent it in last week, to the same company I used before.

www.speedometer.com quoted me anywhere between $125 to $150, plus shipping.

www.dnaspeedometers.com quoted $129 fix, including return shipping. These are the guys I used in the past. Still the same price, and I trust that their work is still the same.

They also "repaint" the needles (faded out) and advance the odometer to the current reading. No extra charge!

Greetings!