Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Default Newbie with a question

Hi, I just joined the forum. We've had the '97 Grand Marquis LS for many years. It has about 85k miles and runs great. It's in beautiful, near showroom condition. I do all my own maintenance and repairs. Recently the front end began creaking and groaning when turning the steering wheel. The ball joints do not have grease zerks. I changed the upper ball joints. That was easy. The lower joints are a different story. I could not separate the ball joint from the knuckle. I thought I had all the tools - pickle fork and ball joint press. I will be grateful to anyone who can offer some advice.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:10 AM

For best results, use MOOG "Problem Solver" ball joints, idler arm, tie rod, and tie-rod ends.
The MOOG parts have Zerk grease fittings..
Lube your joints with LUCAS X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease.
I rebuilt my entire front suspension (springs, shocks, ball joints, tie-rod, tie-rod ends, stabilizer links, idler arm) with MOOG quality parts from Amazon.com.
I grease the suspension's 17 grease fittings every 5,000 miles.
If you do the front wheel bearings, use part # "Motorcraft HUB 3" ONLY !! (Amazon.com)
Good Luck !!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 PM

I would recommend Motorcraft parts over Moog. Most of the Moog parts I see installed fail after 1-2 years. They are Chinese junk now, but with the same price as when they were quality parts. I wouldn't use Moog on my own or my customers vehicles if I got them for free. Just my opinion on the subject.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Yes, I got the Motorcraft ball joints. They did not come with grease zerks but I installed them on each of the new joints. My question was, Is there some trick to separate the lower joint from the knuckle? I used WD40 and hammered and hammered with a pickle fork and it would not come loose. I watch some youtube videos. I must be missing something. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 PM

I assuming you took the nut off the ball joint? If so, just a bigger hammer and hit it harder. Some are stubborn. I do a lot on Superduty pick up trucks and I use a sledge hammer to get the joints to separate.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Default Grand Marquis Ball Joints.

Well, UM Rebel, it's like this:
I have over 40,000 miles on my Grand Marquis suspension re-build, and it's still rock-solid.
The MOOG parts work perfectly.
The front-end maintains correct alignment from year-to-year -- steering is precise..
I guess I wasted my time responding, since someone else told you that the MOOG parts are "Chinese junk".
Believe whatever you want -- My Grand Marquis suspension re-build has stood up to demanding conditions, year after year.
Regarding your original question:

The old "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!" is total bulls**t.
Heat those ball joints with a torch. They'll practically fall right out.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 06-23-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Add Content