Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

power window troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM

93 mgm

the driver front window doesnt operate at all. i removed the motor and purchased a new one. nothing! i went to the junkyard and got 2 new switches. nothing! the only thing visible is there are butt splices on the 2 wires going from the switch to the harness for the drivers switch which is the window not working. i asked previously about a relay but im not sure if a relay can go partially bad? any ideas i would love to hear.

thanks

Adam

Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Wiring diagram

if you look at the wiring diagram at the bottom left, you''ll note the "One Touch Window Down Module"

This could be your problem. If one of the wires going to that module is not connected, it may not allow the driver window to work.

If the splices are bypassing this, then the splices may be bad. You may have to get a continuity meter (or multimeter) and check that the wires coming from the switches are actually connected to the motor. Or use the voltage setting to verify that 12V is actually getting to where it''s supposed to go.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Actually, at least according to the user manual and brochures for ''92 through ''94 MGM''s, there was no "One Touch Window Down" option available.

Sounds like the regulator. But, a statement "nothing" doesn''t really give us a good ground to respond.

The "split" in the wires sound like someone has done something to it. On my 92, I had another issue, I found out that aaftermarked remote door lock was installed, and they tried to add the "window up" function. Well, they couldn''t get it to work.

Once I got the wires straight, windows worked just fine.

Greetings!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM

there is a auto up function so ill try messin with that in the next few days. good thinkin and thanks for the lookout

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 AM

That must be aftermarket then, or the ones from the Town Car? Or Ford did one of their weird changes (like the cupholders).

How does the switch cover look like? Does it have a description on it?

I heard that some upgrade, maybe the wiring is different and so yours got split? Could be.

Greetings!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM

my wife''s 93 vic has the one touch down control. it is a factory option. It may not be a line item listing and may be part of the FULL power package because it also has dual power seats and power everything. And since the MGM is regarded as an upscale vic, I would doubt they would remove that option.

and those wiring diagrams on the autozone site do not include non-factory options (aka aftermarket)Edited by: slymer

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 AM

Good example for "doubt" and "facts".

A MGM is not a Crown Victoria. A "one-touch-window-down" was never offered nor an option on 1992 and 1993 Grand Marquis. Look in the sales brochure, this is what counts.

Thus the MGM is sort of an upscale CrownVic, it does not have many options which were available on them. I.e., there were no cupholders installed nor available on the 1992 models.

Greetings!