Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Power windows issue (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/power-windows-issue-4198/)

Limoguy 04-03-2010 01:02 PM

Power windows issue

2003 Grand Marquis

All windows work up and down when using driver door controls.
When you try using passenger windows at the individual passenger doors, the windows only go down, not back up.
Im thinking its the master door switch on the driver door thats the problem and needs to be replaced. I doubt every door switch is bad.
What do you think?

Also, anyone know where to get them cheap and what years switches would be compatible. Thanks

billccm 04-06-2010 11:21 PM

Sometimes, you can fix these with a good blast of contact cleaner into the switches. I've had good luck with removing the entire switch, blasting some TV Tuner cleaner into any openings, and physically shake the switch around. Then cycle the switch many times, and reinstall.

Get a contact cleaner that is "safe for all plastics". I like RadioShack's TV Tuner spray, but it has gotten expensive.

Let us know how you make out, Bill

Limoguy 04-07-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by billccm (Post 13273)
Sometimes, you can fix these with a good blast of contact cleaner into the switches. I've had good luck with removing the entire switch, blasting some TV Tuner cleaner into any openings, and physically shake the switch around. Then cycle the switch many times, and reinstall.

Get a contact cleaner that is "safe for all plastics". I like RadioShack's TV Tuner spray, but it has gotten expensive.

Let us know how you make out, Bill

Thanks for the tip Bill. I want to try that. One question though. How do I to the switch. Do I just pry the whole unit that holds the window swithces up with a screw driver? I dont want to damage anything thats why Im asking first. thanks

billccm 04-08-2010 10:23 AM

I have to admit, the last time I did this it was on my 1991 Crown Vic, but recalling from memory I took the switches off the bezel, and where the three, or four prong connector mates to the switch was an opening.

I 'flushed' the contact cleaner through the opening and let it 'flood' out of the switch buttons.

Then I wrapped the switch in a towel and shook it. Then as I described cycled the switches back and forth many times and re-installed.

Some people on another group described opening the plastics at the switch tabs, and flooding the ocntacts with TV tuner cleaner, but I am not familiar with this-see if you can try it.

Good Luck, Bill

mecka nick 04-16-2010 10:17 AM

If you look up toward the front part of the switch panel [part that has all the switches in it & is the same color as the door panel] just after it starts to curve back toward the door you'll see a notch on the underside lip of the panel. Stick a small flatblade screw driver in that notch to depress the locking tab. As you're doing that gently pry up on the switch group panel to get it to come up. There are metal clips that sometimes stay in the door panel & you may have to fish those out. Once that is out turn it over & the master switch is inside a "box" that has 2 tabs on each side. With the back of the switch facing up stick your screw driver in between the switch & box edge next to each tab then pry down with the screw driver to pop the box egde off the switch tabs & that will allow the switch to come up out of the box. Just work around it & one tab may lock back as one unlocks so just work at it & it'll come up out of there. The metal clips I mentioned above can be had if you lose them iside the door panel which sometimes happens but the usually land on the inner padding.

termpapers 04-30-2010 07:07 AM

Term papers

txrob779 05-27-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by mecka nick (Post 13342)
If you look up toward the front part of the switch panel [part that has all the switches in it & is the same color as the door panel] just after it starts to curve back toward the door you'll see a notch on the underside lip of the panel. Stick a small flatblade screw driver in that notch to depress the locking tab. As you're doing that gently pry up on the switch group panel to get it to come up. There are metal clips that sometimes stay in the door panel & you may have to fish those out. Once that is out turn it over & the master switch is inside a "box" that has 2 tabs on each side. With the back of the switch facing up stick your screw driver in between the switch & box edge next to each tab then pry down with the screw driver to pop the box egde off the switch tabs & that will allow the switch to come up out of the box. Just work around it & one tab may lock back as one unlocks so just work at it & it'll come up out of there. The metal clips I mentioned above can be had if you lose them iside the door panel which sometimes happens but the usually land on the inner padding.

This is exactly how you do it....my 95 had troublesome windows, however it eventually ended up being window regulators in both back windows...and that my friend is a time consuming pain in the a**....I also have a wonky 5 way seat switch.