Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Radio Problem/Question (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/radio-problem-question-4921/)

svaughan41 07-14-2010 10:02 PM

Radio Problem/Question

I have a 1993 Grand Marquis. Recently, while listening to the radio, it went dead silent. All four speakers have always worked. All the display works, but it will not pick up a single station. Even when I press "SEEK" to find a station that will come in, the radio stops on no stations. At first I thought there might be a problem with the antennae. Then I put a tape in to find that it will not play any tape either. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Also, If it comes down to needing a entirely new radio, I was planning on visiting the local junkyard to pull one out of the many models I know they have there. (Ive been many times before). What year models would work and or fit with the 1993 model? Does it have to be that same particular year and stereo? I know they have a few 93's, but the also have many 92's, 94's, 95's etc. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

littlejohn2458 07-16-2010 08:00 PM

check the back of the radio and see if you by chance blew a fuse

svaughan41 07-16-2010 11:25 PM

I've pulled the radio out, but I do not see a fuse on the back. Should there be one?

littlejohn2458 07-17-2010 11:23 PM

sometimes the horn and other accessories are tied into the fuse for the speakers check all your main fuses and see if one blew. if that is not the case take it to best buy and see if they can guide you on what's going on.

87_Crown_Vic 07-19-2010 01:49 AM

makes me wonder if you had a factory amp in the car that finally went bad on you... easiest way i deal with factory stereos is remove them and throw them over my shoulder... i install cd player in my car... i bought the scoche wire adapter kit from wal-mart for $10 and only used the power side to connect power to the stereo... the rest of the speakers i run new line to new speakers...

imfrom210texas 07-25-2010 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by littlejohn2458 (Post 14187)
sometimes the horn and other accessories are tied into the fuse for the speakers check all your main fuses and see if one blew. if that is not the case take it to best buy and see if they can guide you on what's going on.

NO
This is another post of yours that I've seen that tells me you don't know what you're talking about. There is NO "fuse for the speakers". Not trying to be an ass but you need to do some research.
To OP, I doubt all 4 speakers went out at the exact same time, especially off the very limited power from your stock HU. I would just upgrade to something with cd/mp3/ipod. You can get a decent Pioneer for bout $140 at Wal-Mart. Mine was about that price, and has 4V outputs (2 sets), and has an Ipod plug in front AND back of the HU for more options.