Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Rear Passenger Window Regulator Bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Default Rear Passenger Window Regulator Bad

The rear passenger window regulator in my 96 Grand Marquis seems to not be working. The motor tests good but the window will not go up or down. If I manually put the window up and power the motor as if the window were up it stays for a few days but eventually the window will drop back down.

Does anyone have a tutorial and a web site where I can purchase the unit? I have never done a window regulator before.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM

It's probably not the regulator. it's probably the nylon plugs in the motor. they tend to disintegrate. I replaced all the plugs in my land yachts with ball bearings. I won't have that problem again. If you already know how to get the door panel off and get to the window motor, then it's an easy fix. just take the motor out, take the screw off the gear cover, pop off the gear cover (sometimes this can be stubborn), and replace the plugs. do take care to clear out all the broken nylon bits so it doesn't jam in the future. The ball bearings should be 7/16 or near to that. take the motor out and take it to a hardware store when you buy the bearings to make sure.

If it really is the regulator, it can be got at most auto parts places for about $35-ish.

removing the regulator however requires lots of drilling out rivets and is a major pain in the neck.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM

So a metal ball bearing will seat where the nylon plugs were? The door panel is off but I have not removed the motor yet . This actually sounds like an easier/cheaper fix than the regulator.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM

yes, just make sure to get the right size ball bearing. too small and it'll flop a lot, too big and it won't fit.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Forgot to mention that when the door panel was off I watched the motor as I hit the switch and it spooled and released the cable on the motor pulley. Therefore, it is turning the rotor...still sound like the nylon plugs?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM

it's still worth checking since it just requires removing the three bolts that hold the motor on, but if the cable is hanging loose, then it's the regulator, if not, it's not the regulator. the plugs in the motor gears are what hold the window up. if they are broken or deformed (really hot days can end up melting the silly things enough for them to deform... happened in my wife's 93 vic here in Texas) they can still operate the window, but will not hold up over a few days.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Definitely check those plugs, but sadly I have to say those window regulators were crap.. Replaced both of them in my 96 MGM and in quite a few others too.. New regulators aren;t terribly expensibe, but they aren;t a whole lot of fun to replace....

Old 07-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Ok, will check the plugs first. The cable seemed pretty taught. I will post the results...I am gone for the weekend so it may be a while.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM

I took out the motor but the cable spool came off in the process and all the cable is now unspooled.

I am not sure what plugs you are talking about but when I took the motor out I held it as I turned it and I was not even close to being able to hold the shaft. Should I still take the motor apart?

How do I re-spool the cable? I see there are two cables, one that is going up and one that is going down.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM

the plugs are inside that motor's gear housing where the shaft comes out. take the screw out of that and you should see the mess inside. to respool the cable, you'll have to remove the regulator. the cable is under a LOT of tension and will need to be re-wrapped around the spool. you can try to do that without removing the regulator, but I think the angles may be too harsh to be able to get it wound properly. it's a really simple system though and once you have it out you can tell. removing it is a major pain though. more than likely, you'll have to remove it because the cable ends will have come loose from the regulator. You'll need to drill out the rivets (replace them with 1/4 inch bolts and nuts with lock washers to make things simple). You'll have to remove the rivets that are holding the window in place as well. be gentle and patient in the drilling. it is difficult and time consuming. once the window is out (which takes some creative turning) you can remove the regulator. remember to take the rain guard out (can't think of the name of the thing now - the flap that rests against the window at the base of the window opening on the outside). once you get the regulator back together, just reverse the process. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger Window Regulator Bad