Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Snow tire question 2007 grand marquis ls (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/snow-tire-question-2007-grand-marquis-ls-11357/)

tpfdrive 09-28-2020 09:15 PM

Snow tire question 2007 grand marquis LS

I need some advice. I don't know if I should buy studded snow tires or non studded for my 2007 MGM. Last year I bought a set of used studded Cooper Weather masters. With the little bit of snow we got last year (in Connecticut) they did really well. The thing is, is that I've got kind of a leadfoot. So the studded tires would spin out on dry pavement on acceleration. The results of that was when I took the snow tires off in the springtime, 90% of the studs had come out. It turns out the tires that I purchased were over 10 years old so maybe some of the studs had rotted out so they came out easily. I'm not sure. What are your recommendations or experiences?

raski 09-29-2020 07:00 AM

There's no doubt the studded snows are better on ice. Some areas do not allow them. A rear drive G.M. won't do very well in harsh winter conditions. Myself, I would not use studs because of the noise and would just put some additional weight in the back with unstudded snows..
You know we who have enjoyed mild winters lately are eventually going to pay the price. This year? Nobody knows.

tpfdrive 09-29-2020 12:43 PM

Thanks Raski! I was kind of leaning towards studless because of the chatter noise studs make. If the weather gets that bad, my car will be parked anyways.
Do you run just 2 snow tires in back or do you put snow tires all around???

tpfdrive 09-29-2020 12:45 PM

I've read that the Blizzak snow tires are excellent. Any thoughts or recommendations? I was also considering the Cooper Evolution winter tire. Has anyone used that tire?

95 MERC 09-29-2020 03:55 PM

Tire Question

I suggest you go to TireRack.com for most useful information regarding tires for your Grand Marquis.
Enter your Vehicle Information -- make, model, year, and tire/wheel size (several wheel sizes are available).
A complete list of tire types, sizes, and availability -- and test results that allow a direct comparison.
In your area, the winters have gotten milder, and they will continue to get milder in the future, as the Earth warms.
Most "All Season" tires will work fine in light snow -- some are better in snow than others, so a close look at the chart can set you straight.
I suggest running the "All- Season" type tire on all 4 wheels, which allows for Front-To-Back rotation. DO NOT rotate tires from side-to-side, as this can cause an INSTANT (no warning!) tire failure. Many of the "All Season" tires have siping that grips well on ice.
Running the same tires on all 4 wheels gives a better feel of "balance", and a better control of the steering and braking.
Remember -- the brakes stop the wheels, it's the TIRES that stop the vehicle !
TIP: NEVER buy used tires. Don't risk your life to save a few dollars -- or a few hundred.
As for studded tires -- They're great on ice, but that's it -- if you drive on ice A LOT, you may need them, but the rest of the time they offer no advantage. Also, they are noisy and expensive.
MOST important -- When new tires are installed, get a COMPUTERIZED Wheel Alignment, and be SURE that they offer a print-out of the Before & After results. DON'T let anybody talk you out of that Computerized alignment. The BEST shops will align to the nominals.
A slight mis-alignment can scrub THOUSANDS of miles off your tires' life, and it happens all the time.
I'm scouting for a set of alloy wheels from a late-model Grand Marquis -- 17 x 7 -- It's getting hard to find good rubber for my 15 x 6.5s.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mer...31103b2287.jpg
Classic Style "Italian Lace" Wheels. Goodyear ComforTread Touring Tires.

tpfdrive 09-29-2020 10:13 PM

95 Merc,
Thank you for your advise. I really appreciate it. Do you think Tirerack.com has better prices than Amazon prime?
P.S. I have the exact same Goodyear comforTred touring tires on my 2007 Grand Marquis 225/60r16

95 MERC 09-30-2020 10:59 AM

Snow Tires ??

Glad to be of help -- Merc owners are a dying breed ;>;)
I checked prices for the same tire at both TireRack and Amazon (I'm a member) Prime.
Both offer FREE shipping. Tire mounting and balancing prices vary with either store, so will be hard to nail down.
I found that Amazon Prime was a good deal less expensive than TR -- BUT -- attention must be paid to HOW OLD the tires are at time-of-purchase. The date codes for all tires appear as a 4-digit number on the outside of the tire.
The first 2 digits indicate the WEEK of manufacture, the second 2 digits indicate the YEAR of manufacture.
Example: 1619 -- tire made in 16th week of 2019.
The only problem with buying tires from EITHER of these outlets is that you can't check the date codes BEFORE you get the tires.
Some Amazon tire buyers complained about getting old tires. No comments about TireRack tires, but that doesn't mean their tires are fresh.
I have never bought tires from Amazon OR TireRack, but I use both as sources of information, with TireRack as the primary source, due to TR's extensive testing and ratings information. Amazon for prices and reviews by non-technical people.
Anyways, Amazon Prime's prices for the exact same tire were ABOUT 15-20% less than TR's price.
The Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires have served me very well, and I would buy them again, but they're not made in my size any more. The 95 MERC was modified with upgraded Brakes and Suspension -- for long-distance, high-speed touring of the American West, and the Goodyears have excelled at every test. Got into some snow at Gallup, NM -- tires worn about half-way -- NO problem-o !!
Your tires are wider, and have more DRY grip, but will aquaplane easier, and tend to "toboggan" in deep snow.
Everything is a trade-off. All-ways.
As always, the best thing to have in snow and/or ice is PATIENCE. It's FREE, and the more you use it, the more you have for later use.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mer...7e1b6ca00e.jpg
Like No Other.

tpfdrive 09-30-2020 03:31 PM

95 Merc,
Again, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it! It's ironic but I used to drive 18-wheeler and I used to go cross-country every week and I know Gallup New Mexico well. I used to follow Interstate 40 from Knoxville Tennessee all the way out to Barstow California. It's amazing how the terrain and weather changes dramatically as you drive across country. There's a beauty to the high desert. I believe looking at your life is great to hear from you Mexico correct?
I bought my 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis almost 3 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. It was barely broken in. LOL. Today I've got 83,000 miles on it and I love this car. I do not regret buying it. It's so comfortable and roomy and it's got a lot of power too. I love the automatic climate control and leather seats. It's really unfortunate that they stopped making them back in 2011. I'm going to try to attach a picture of my car here.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mer...7140cda867.jpg

raski 10-01-2020 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by tpfdrive (Post 24251)
Thanks Raski! I was kind of leaning towards studless because of the chatter noise studs make. If the weather gets that bad, my car will be parked anyways.
Do you run just 2 snow tires in back or do you put snow tires all around???

I do not run my current G.M. in the winter but a past one (the sacrificial lamb) I ran snows just on the drive wheels with sand bags in the back. I got the extra weight from the bags and I could also tap into one if I got stuck in the snow. Problem is when the snow gets deeper than your road clearance to the floor pans, you are likely to get stuck, no matter what your strategy is.Also, a rear drive G.M. won't come close to outperforming a large front drive like a Lesabre or even a 2WD. pickup because of the extra height.
Before you order tires online, check your tire dealers if they will mount and balance your tires. Some in my area are funny about installing tires if you do not buy theirs. Average price near me is $25 per tire plus $3 disposal fee per tire.

tpfdrive 10-02-2020 12:00 PM

Thank you for all your great advice. I did my research and yesterday I picked up 2 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 snow tires (225/60R16) at TireRack.com. Their price was better than Amazon's. In fact, I saved $10 per tire by picking the tires up myself at the Tirerack.com warehouse that's in Windsor, Connecticut. About 20 miles from my house. I was able to inspect the tires before taking them. They were manufactured in the 3rd week of 2020. I ended up paying $109.50/tire plus tax. Amazon's price is $122.99/tire. As far as mounting and computer spin balancing, I have a small mom & pop used tire shop near me that charges only $20 cash per tire for mounting and computer spin balancing. $40 cash and I'm out the door.