Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Squeaking 1996 Mercury Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/squeaking-1996-mercury-marquis-6574/)

Haw1936 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

Squeaking 1996 Mercury Marquis

I have a 1996 Mercury Marquis LS. It has 87,000 miles on it. It has been well taken care of but recently I had to have ball joints replaced on both front wheels. These can receive grease. The popping has stopped since the ball joints have been put in, but the body squeaks. I have oiled and sprayed WD40 on everything I can think of that would stop the noise, but it continues. I hear it when going over a slight bump. When I turn the corner. When I get in or out of the car and I'm not a heavy person. When I push the fender, front or rear down it does it. I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion of what to do or where to look to squirt some lubricant to stop the noise. I want my quiet riding Marquis back! Of course I can turn up the radio to drown out the squeaking, but I'd rather deal with the problem. :)

EddieE 02-10-2013 08:04 AM

I just thinking of misc. : control arm bushings, shocks, upper ball joints.:rolleyes: I'd lean towards bushings of one type or another.

Haw1936 02-11-2013 06:41 AM

I replaced both sides, top and bottom ball joints. Each had a grease fitting which have been serviced. I'll take it to the garage to have the control arm and shocks checked. Thanks for the advise.

MGM46 01-01-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Haw1936 (Post 17618)
I have a 1996 Mercury Marquis LS. It has 87,000 miles on it. It has been well taken care of but recently I had to have ball joints replaced on both front wheels. These can receive grease. The popping has stopped since the ball joints have been put in, but the body squeaks. I have oiled and sprayed WD40 on everything I can think of that would stop the noise, but it continues. I hear it when going over a slight bump. When I turn the corner. When I get in or out of the car and I'm not a heavy person. When I push the fender, front or rear down it does it. I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion of what to do or where to look to squirt some lubricant to stop the noise. I want my quiet riding Marquis back! Of course I can turn up the radio to drown out the squeaking, but I'd rather deal with the problem. :)

I have the same squeaking problem - thought about turning up the radio but if I turned it up loud enough to block the noise, would probably get arrested for noise.

What did you end up doing?

Haw1936 01-02-2014 08:59 AM

Squeeking 1996 Mercury Marquis

It seemed as if the grill was "wobbly," so I got some rubber material and stuffed it in around the places where it was attached. That apparently took care of most of the problem. Occasionally I hear another sound as if there is a screw that has fallen out holding material to the front wheel well on the driver's side. I haven't been successful in finding it yet, although it is only occasionally, so not a big problem.

94marquis 03-13-2014 08:05 PM

just had this problem fixed

I have a 94 that was very squeeky until this morning...i had the ball joint, pitman arm, and the outer tie rod replaced...

Haw1936 03-14-2014 05:51 AM

I took care of the major noise by replacing the front end ball joints. However, from time to time I can hear a noise that sounds like a piece of metal is loose. When I had the oil changed, I asked fellow to see if anything had a couple of screws out on any metal that covered something underneath the car. He didn't see anything. Aggravating noises are hard to find!!!!

AfterViewer 02-05-2015 11:03 PM

My '96 LS spent it's first 13 years in Florida, then Tennessee before I have it now in Michigan. 117 thousand miles, had all that front end stuff replaced at the shop from wear. My car only makes all that awful squeaking during the winter months. I figure it is all the rubber mount materials that shrink back to normal with that sunny Southern weather come to visit. You'all have my sympathy.