Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Which too choose.... (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/too-choose-4079/)

luv4skating 02-14-2010 08:34 PM

Which to choose from

I’m looking at one of these for a daily driver/Ford semi performance project, I have a chance to get a 2003 Crown Vic Standard with almost 40,000 miles on it, the car is very nice, and a 2003 Grand Marquis LS with 60,000 miles, it is very nice too, I plan on doing some mods, (Exhaust, maybe a chip, intake, some ford police package shock absorbers and anything else that will add some HP and not compromise gas milage) my question is which one shuld I get, my dream and it is one now, is a Marauder, CV LX Sport, or sport package, or a Grand Marquis HPP, and it is a 2002 CV LX Sport available but I cant get it, so which one of the top 2, do you think is best for what I want to do?

Thanks in advance!

slymer 02-14-2010 10:39 PM

20K miles on those cars isn't much at all. All the drive train and suspension parts are essentially the same (unless equipped with the air ride system). If the merc has the air ride, avoid it since you'll have to convert to coils to do the suspension mods you want. Other than that, everything else should be the same. Go with which one looks better inside and out (look under for rust, check inside for upkeep - under the hood and in the trunk too) The nicer looking cars are usually the better cars (unless you're buying from me... then they'll run great no matter how they look)

luv4skating 02-15-2010 06:25 AM

I dont know if the Merc. has the air suspen. but I will find out, so the air suspen. is not air shocks?

yockit 02-15-2010 10:42 AM

Get a intercepter

Hi, if performence is what u want, get a intercepter! They have high performence engine trany suspention tires,

slymer 02-15-2010 05:54 PM

air suspension is air-bags instead of springs. Shocks are usually gas filled on the later models and on both setups I think.

Interceptor definitely has the suspension and rear axle advantage. The engine is pretty much the same any more except for the computer (though that makes some difference). However, lower mileage commander interceptors are hard to come by (the ones that weren't used for traffic duty).

luv4skating 02-15-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by slymer (Post 12871)
air suspension is air-bags instead of springs. Shocks are usually gas filled on the later models and on both setups I think.

Interceptor definitely has the suspension and rear axle advantage. The engine is pretty much the same any more except for the computer (though that makes some difference). However, lower mileage commander interceptors are hard to come by (the ones that weren't used for traffic duty).

The intercepter is not what I want, because of the high milage that they have, they cant be found at most good dealers anyway.

yockit 02-18-2010 08:21 AM

Interceptor

I had intercepter 99 got it with 115k miles and drove till it had 260k and sold for $1200, one of the best cars i owned, people think high milage is bad but 80% of engine ware happens till the engine is at nornal operating temp. If you buy from grandma who only drove to church and town store, she started the car more often the engine will have more ware.