Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   Transmission fluid leak (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/transmission-fluid-leak-5172/)

Limoguy 11-25-2010 03:48 PM

Transmission fluid leak

I noticed trans fluid spots recently. Checked fluid still looks pink and full.
Anyone have an idea where the leak is probably coming from?

I havent done anything to the trans as far as repair or anything. Still seems to shift and be normal.
Should I try a bottle of stop leak?
If so, which one is best?

87_Crown_Vic 11-27-2010 09:37 PM

i would diagnose where it is leaking from... i would not go over full on fluid... only places i can guess trans fluid would leak from would be the transmission or if trans fluid is used in power steering... try to locate the leak to know what the problem is before going further

Limoguy 11-29-2010 02:58 PM

Manifold gasket leaking

OK...Its not a transmission leak after all.
Its the manifold gasket leaking coolant and it leaks out near the trans...

So, should I try a stop leak first?

Any suggestions?

87_Crown_Vic 11-30-2010 09:03 PM

stop leak products have a tendency to clog the heater core if not careful... better off to fix the problem then do a temp fix that will cause headaches or stop working when you dont need it to stop

Limoguy 12-01-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic (Post 14974)
stop leak products have a tendency to clog the heater core if not careful... better off to fix the problem then do a temp fix that will cause headaches or stop working when you dont need it to stop

Ok..my mechanic suggests to change the manifold and gasket together, costs $450.
Or he can change just the gasket but he is not sure it will last. Costs $250

I wanna change just the gasket of course. What do you think?

87_Crown_Vic 12-01-2010 05:55 PM

you should check to see if you have the aluminum crossover for the intake manifold... if it doesnt and is all plastic, you will have issues... i would ask if it has the front aluminum crossover on the intake or look yourself... the aluminum crossover on the intake manifold was the replacement for the problematic all plastic intake manifold that was known and recalled for cracking... i would say just gasket if it has the aluminum crossover or replace all if it is the all plastic

ru4mercurygm 12-21-2018 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic (Post 14981)
you should check to see if you have the aluminum crossover for the intake manifold... if it doesnt and is all plastic, you will have issues... i would ask if it has the front aluminum crossover on the intake or look yourself... the aluminum crossover on the intake manifold was the replacement for the problematic all plastic intake manifold that was known and recalled for cracking... i would say just gasket if it has the aluminum crossover or replace all if it is the all plastic

👍 I agree