Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Will this CD player fit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Hello,

New guy here.

We just bought my parents 2001 GM LS Limited. It came with the factory tape deck/radio. I want to replace it with at least a single cd player.

When I called the local Ford salvage yard, he had a 2004 single cd player for $150. Question is, will this fit into my 2001? He claims it will.

Would I have to modify anything or is it basically plug and play?

Many thanks!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 PM

The electrical connectors will fit just fine. Ford changed the connectors in '98 so pre-98 cars need an adapter to use later model radios. No problem for your 2001 model.

Earlier radios (tape decks and center-load single disc CD players) were 1.5 DIN in the front and 1 single DIN in the rear (see image below). Newer Ford radios are 1.5 DIN tall from front to back (same size front to back). At some point Ford modified the defroster ductwork to accomodate these larger radios. I *think* they made that change in 2003 but I'm not sure. In short, if the radio you are buying is tapered like the one below it will fit fine. If it is full-size front to back you'll need to check to see if it will clear your defroster duct.

Lastly, most center-load single disc CD players are tapered and should fit all 98+ models. All top-load or 6-disc changers are full-height front to back and will only fit cars which have the modified defroster duct design.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the info..although the pic doesn't show up. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 AM
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM

"Page not found"

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM

Cut and paste this link...

"http://www.knology.net/~mdarnell/Ford radio (older).jpg"

Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM

works now....thanks...and yep, that's what my cassette deck looks like.....so a cd player is out of the question for this year car..other than buying aftermarket. ?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:23 PM

No, not at all. You can use a factory CD player you just need to make sure you get one that will fit your car. Some of the factory single-disc CD players look just the like the cassette deck in the picture (tall in the front, shorter in the back)...

I call these center-load since the disc inserts into the center of the front face plate. Top-load or 6-disc changers may not fit your car since they are full-height front to back. You need to find a 1998-up single disc factory player with center load CD slot. Ebay is great place to search.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the info and pics!!

One thing I see is the plug-in area of the center cd is totally different than mine..do I need to buy an adaptor?Edited by: Alfer

Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 AM

The one in the picture is for a 97 or older. You need one for a 98 or newer for the plugs to match. There are usually 98+ models several on Ebay.

Quick Reply: Will this CD player fit??