Mariner Discuss the Mercury Mariner here...

Amp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM

Ok, I know there is basically nobody on this site. At least, none that are contributing to posts. However, thought I'd start a new thread. Maybe some will come by and put there thoughts down.

While doing a little searching on www.cardomain.com I noticed that several Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute owners have installed there own sound system including amps, and subwoofers. Although I own a Mariner (Premier) I am interested in adding some more sound.

The question I have is this. Why hasn't anyone utilized thesunken storage bin areain the backto place their amps? It seems tome that this is the most practical place to put an amp so that it doesn't get in the way of loading the back of your car withmiscellaneous items.

My idea for my install would be to put the amps in thestorage area run the wires to the speakers and the wires to thesubwoofer. The subwoofer would be in a box and easily removable, if needed.

Seems this set up would be the most practical and convenient when preserving your ability to carry things in the back.

Let me know your thoughts. Maybe I'm not addressing possibly overheating the amps? Would that be a concern?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Are you talking about the storage above the rear fenders? I know the jack is on the right side near the rear door; where would you place the subs?

Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 AM

No, I'm referring to the storage bin in the middle of the back - it would just store the amps. The latch opens up the compartment.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:51 PM

Ah, I went out to the garage to see what you're talking about--gotchya.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 PM

If I get the chance I'll try to post some pics so everyone else knows what I'm talking about.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:03 PM

I know the spot, I haven't done any sound system work in years though... what about using the space where the curent amp is behind the panel on the right side(in the rear end area)? It's been about a week since I opened it up but I seem to remember a decent amount of space there

Old 03-06-2006, 08:41 PM

Not sure how active this post still is but I'm on the same brain-wavelenth as you are. I insisted on getting the extra storage space in my new 2006 Mariner. The first time I saw it all I could picture was a Subwoofer sitting in there to round out the already EXCELLENT factory system. I've been building Custom Car Stereos for years and I am currently working with my "Dealer" on what would work best. Right now we're talking about raising the entire floor2" and adding on 12" Kicker SoloBarick L5 and a Kicker 550Wx3 amp. This willallow me to add storage spaces back in (using the"false floor") and run all mycomponent speakers with oneAmp. I also have the premier but everything is eventually getting replaced, including the cd player (with a DVD/CD/NAV system) since it is a doulbe DIN slot. Ifanyone is interested send me an IM and i'll keep you posted on the project. Going to be something else when it's completed!!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 AM

don't know if this is a dead horse, but I integrated an amp and sub to my stock system in my '06 Premier. Basically wired an amp how I would for anything else, placed it in that storage space, and used a line out convertor from the wires going to the stock "sub" still using the stock sub for some "midrange" thump still being there.

it's a simple setup, but it bumps better than the sub & amp did in my '05 GTO. Just a 500x1 Memphis Amp, and a 500w DVC 4ohm Diamond Sub in a Ported Box.