Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mariner (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mariner-23/)
-   -   MP3 playing / Mariner Hybrid (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mariner-23/mp3-playing-mariner-hybrid-526/)

ltorg 04-23-2006 09:50 PM

Hi folks -

Just bought a 2006 Mariner Hybrid, with the premium package and the 7-speaker sound system, CD changer, navigation etc etc.. The dealer said it would play MP3s, the sticker says it plays MP3s, but it won't.

(Not only that, the owner's manual for the car actually says it will only play commercial audio CDs! I've tried a couple of audio CDs I've burned and it is balky at best on those..)

I went back today and the salesman admitted he really didn't know what MP3s were; he was just going by the sticker. Thought maybe there was an MP3 adapter I'd have to buy (!). Sales manager said maybe the shop could help - I'll drop by, but know where that will lead!

Anyone had any luck at all with MP3s? Isn't it against the law to falsely advertise something on the sticker? Any ideas? If I take it back 3 times to have the MP3-playing capability fixed and they can't will the lemon law require them to take it back? (I like the car so far, but for the amount of money I spent, I'd just as soon have what they told me they were selling..)

libertylm 05-11-2006 08:42 PM

I work at a Mercury dealer, and I have run intoa similar problem. I had a customer that bought a Mariner with the CDX - 6, that should be MP3 compatible. It wouldn't play the MP3. I did some checking, and it turns out that the vehicle was misbuilt. There is actually a misbuilt hotline that the dealer can call for you if this is, in fact, the problem. Every Mariner should come with an MP3 capable radio. My bet is that either there is something wrong with the radio, or it is the wrong radio. Replacing the radio unit through the misbuilt hotline can take a while, so be patient. It took me about a week and a half to swap out the radio. How long have you had your vehicle? If the vehicle was shipped over 90 days ago, the dealer may have to jump through some hoops to get it done. Though I do not work for Mercury or the dealer you bought the vehicle from, I apologize for any inconvenience you encounter. If you are unable to get the issue resolved from your dealer, there is a customer service number in your owner's manual. I think it appears in the Mercury Commitment book. I hope this helps.

Ike Winebarger
Liberty Lincoln Mercury
www.libertylm.com

ltorg 05-11-2006 11:58 PM

Hi Ike - Thanks for the info - my dealer told me yesterday that there was a problem in manufacturing and that Ford was fixing it in later deliveries. In my complaint letter I had stated that it would cost me $400 to get MP3 capability with an aftermarket setup, so I wanted a refund - didn't know there was a later model radio with MP3 capability after all or I would have asked for a new radio. Anyway, they told me the radio wasn't available now but that Ford will send me $400 to make me happy. I guess I'm happy. Got what I asked for. Sure like the Mariner so far in most other respects!

regards,
Leigh