MF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with MF? Ask... Have a suggestion to better MF? Tell us here...

1997 merc grand marquis gs

Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Default 1997 merc grand marquis gs

I bought this car a few weeks ago and the odometer and trip meter don't work. I learned via the internet to replace the gears and it should eliminate that issue. the cruise doesn't work, and there's no code for the door entry pad. I need advice/help with the cruise and any tip as to how I can make the remote key pad work. I would also like to know if a remote fob can be programmed to work on this car. It has electric trunk, door locks and the keyless entry on it. I would appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Mike --
Open the trunk -- look at the driver's-side trunk lid hinge -- you will see a white sticker with black numbers on it -- this is the code for the keyless entry keypad.

Cruise Control not working ?? Check the fuses first !!
The early Mercs/CrownVics/Lincolns were RECALLED for a FIRE HAZARD due to a faulty cruise control.
I had my '92 Vic and my '95 Merc at the dealer's for a recall fix on the Cruise Control.
I've put nearly 100,000 miles on the '95 Merc since the recall fix -- NO Problems !!

The Speedometer, Odometer, and Trip Counter are all driven off the same plastic gear in the transmission.
If the SPEEDOMETER works, but the odometer and the trip counter are dead, the problem is NOT with the gear -- they MAY be broken because someone tampered with the unit in an attempt to cheat on the mileage.
If NONE of it works, then check the plastic gear -- you will need to remove the speedometer cable at the transmission to gain access to the plastic gear.
Replacement gears can be had at the Dealer or a junkyard.

If the problem is in the Speedo/Odo unit itself, it may be cheaper AND easier to just get a used unit from a junkyard.
I suggest that you investigate the RECALL FIRST, since fixing the recall issue MAY fix the Speedo/Odo/Trip issue at the same time.

Good Luck !!