Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Milan (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/milan-33/)
-   -   Auto headlights? (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/milan-33/auto-headlights-2042/)

duckstu 09-28-2008 11:03 AM

So does anyone know what it takes to put the auto headlamp feature in the base model?

We really didn''''t want leather,..so we couldn''''t go with the Premium. But the automatic climate control and auto headlights would be nice.

I wonder if it''''s as simple as buyingthe lightmodule andthe light sensor?

And for the climate control,...I wonder if it''''s as simple as buying the dash controls.

Another option would be doing what Subaru does on the STI I have. They just wire the positive wire for the relay coil that runs the lights fromthe switched ignition. The lights go off when you turn off the ignition. Still manual lights,..but they don;t stay on after you shut the car off.

Very simple. It means you canmake stops at night without having to turn the lights off and on each time. Might be as simple as re-routing one or two small wires in the fuse/relay box under the hood.Edited by: duckstu

iJay 01-02-2009 02:18 PM

sorry, i have no idea how to do that, but i''m curious to know: why no leather? lol

it''s so much better than cloth!

slymer 01-02-2009 04:39 PM

auto headlights would require a new switch a new lighting control module, wire harnesses to go around (these may already be there), possibly a new dash depending on the way the sensor is mounted. The auto climate control (if the non-auto control is digital and the auto is also digital) may be a simple control swap. It may also be a nightmare of vacuum plumbing and wiring changes.

it probably would have been easier to get the dealer to swap the cloth seats into a premier than to upgrade a base.

duckstu 01-02-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by iJay

sorry, i have no idea how to do that, but i''''m curious to know: why no leather? lol

it''''s so much better than cloth!

Leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Looks nice though,..and if it''s all real leather and not just leather seating surfaces (like old BMW''s were) it smells nice too.

Heated seats help the cold in the winter only if they can be left on,... so they come on with the remote start (Saturn VUE, all VW''s, most Saabs). But most cars won''t let you do that,..so you warm them with your butt and back first, then the seats start warming up after it no longer matters.

The Milan is the wifes'' car,..soI haven''t messed anymore with it. Went on a 1,500 mile trip last week in it though. The seats are passable with a thin towel in the middle of my back,..and it got 29.2 mpg.

92Mercury 01-05-2009 05:35 PM

I agree. I have leather on my winter car (Explorer), I hate them.

I bought heated seat covers. Sure, they work, but the worse thing is the ice cold steering wheel (leather as well).

I also have the issue that the seat warmers always slip down on the slick leather seats. I thought about getting suspenders and run them over the bucket top.

Anyhow, I don''t like leather either, exactly because as stated. Hot in the summer, ice cold in the winter.

Greetings!

iJay 01-05-2009 06:47 PM

i don''t know.. i live in boston and i feel like the cloth seats get just as cold,
they just warm up quicker with your butt then leather seats do lol

i agree that the steering wheel is very cold.. but i also think that is with any
car...

in the summer tho, i agree. cloth is a lot cooler than leather... still i would
not want it haha

conan312 01-11-2009 06:36 AM

You would be better off trading it in for a car that has the options you want. It would be too expensive and extensive to do even if you could find someone able and willing to do the job. As for the leather vs. cloth debate; to each his own but leather seats are nearly impossible to stain. Isotoners for the cold steering wheel? My leather seats still look great after 12 yrs. and the back seat looks brand new. A lot of the time leather it will outlast the car. I recently bought my wife a 2008 Hyudia Elantra (her choice, not mine!!) and her cloth seats are already dirty and my 4 yr. old has already permanantly stained the back seat even with a seat cover. One man''s opinion.