Monterey Discuss the Mercury Monterey here...

1954 Mercury Monterey generator voltage regulator adjustment procedure help needed

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Default 1954 Mercury Monterey generator voltage regulator adjustment procedure help needed

Hi I am trying to help my neighbor with his 1954 Mercury Monterey.

He claims the vehicle is not charging properly and has installed a new Voltage regulator yet he did not know enough to set it up.

It has been many years since I worked on one of these and I have never worked on a 6 volt system.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of a service manual that will have this information.

I have found a few manuals yet it is hard to tell if these manuals will include the information needed to verify the generator and regulator is wired correctly and adjusted properly.

For now I plan on keeping it simple and cleaning all the electrical connections
Checking the battery and grounds.

Then I plan on checking to see if the generator is or is not charging.

Either way I need a good manual for this vehicle so I can help him keep this car running until he finds a buyer for it.

The guy is a nice older gentleman in his 80s that due to a stroke can no longer work on or enjoy driving it like he used to.

This is a rare car that he has owned since 1960 it has the continental kit the visor and fender skirts the color is cream and red

Once we get it charging and staring properly he will be needing to sell it, if anyone is interested.

I would say the condition is about a 4 if going by haggerty valuation yet he wants 19k for it. The car has 57,000 original miles on it and is mostly original except one repaint when he gotaround 1960

However I am sure he may entertain reasonable offers