Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mountaineer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/)
-   -   02 Mountaineer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/02-mountaineer-119/)

Lmoney 03-17-2005 03:42 AM

<DIV>Hey all.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just bought a used 02 Mountainner (V8, AWD, loaded). Its got 39,000 miles on it....got the 3 year, 36,000 warranty for it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So far I love it....comfortable, powerful, etc.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I do notice it shifts a little funny....I don't know much about cars, but it doesn't seem to shift as smoothly as I would expect. Is that normal or something to look into?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've also noticed that its not as bad on gas as I expected. Of course its pricey to fill it, but it hasn't been as bad on gas as I was lead to believe.</DIV>

MercAdvisor 03-17-2005 10:16 PM

Those vehicles have what they call an adaptive transmisson so if you bought the vehicle used it is currently still trying to follow the previous owners driving patterns. See what happens after about 1,000 to 1,500 miles of driving if the problem still persists you may want to then see your dealer.

Lmoney 03-18-2005 05:37 AM

<DIV>Wow I've never heard of an adaptive transmission. I'll check back in when I get more miles on it to see how she behaves.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm really happy with it so far....they are beautiful trucks[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]</DIV>

MercAdvisor 03-18-2005 09:28 PM

Yeah its cool idea ford has come up with that they put on the mountaineer/explorer/aviator and lincoln ls.

The only problem with the adaptive program is that if more than one person drives the vehicle it can take an extremely long time to adapt and if the vehicle is sold then you can have the problem that you have.

Make sure you check to see if the rear glass hinge recall has been performed on it.

Lmoney 03-19-2005 04:33 PM

Rear glass hinge recall? I'll look into it thanks.

Where do you find out what recalls have been performed or need to be performed.

MercAdvisor 03-19-2005 04:56 PM

if you get me your vin number i can find out for you.

Lmoney 03-21-2005 12:25 PM

4M2ZU86W92ZJ10849

Thanks for your help bro

MercAdvisor 03-21-2005 02:31 PM

You do have the rear liftgate glass hinges recall on your vehicle. It is a early build vehicle so you will have to leave it with your dealer for most of the day to have it repaired however until you do so try not to you use glass liftgate because if one of those hinges breaks its gonna be a breezy ride[img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

Lmoney 03-22-2005 05:10 AM

<DIV>Thanks advisor.</DIV>
<DIV>I've been using it alot too.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Find anything else interesting with that number? I'm guessing its a pretty clean record....it was owned by a wealthy old couple. The interior is in immaculate condition and I'm sure they didn't beat on the engine.</DIV>

MercAdvisor 03-23-2005 12:56 AM

Nope otherwise the history was clean a few basic minor things were fixed but all and all no big problems with the vehicle that i could find enjoy.