Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mountaineer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/)
-   -   '04 Mountaineer "ABS" problem (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/04-mountaineer-abs-problem-4024/)

mawwam 01-07-2010 08:54 PM

'04 Mountaineer "ABS" problem

Dears,
I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier, with a 4.6L V8 Engine. I have this problem that sometimes when I press hard on the accelerator, the "ABS" lamp will be lit and the cruise control will cease to function.

I took the car to the dealer, and they said that the battery needs to be replaced. The batter is new and it's only a few months old.

I read the manual, and I found something related to what the dealer said to me. The manual says that if the computer detects a low voltage, it will start shutting down the electrical devices to maintain the voltage necessary to keep the engine working. These devices might include the radio, the "ABS", and even the dashboard.

I tried to search the net on the correct battery model for my car, but couldn't seem to find the right site. I just need to know the right battery model & specs that I need to install, before I go and buy another one.

My car's chassis number: 4M2DU86W14ZJ14424

My current battery:
Motorcraft
Part Number: BXL 65
Serial Number: 122008
Cold Cranking Amps 675

slymer 01-09-2010 05:22 PM

650 is bare minumum. seems that 750 to 800 cold cranking amps are needed to have a good experience with the vehicle.
Since you have a premier, you should opt for the larger capacity batteries. Looks like you may have cheaped out on the battery or wasn't properly informed in the purchase or the (since it's a motorcraft battery) dealer screwed you with a base model battery. Find your receipt and take the battery back and get the next capacity up.

mawwam 01-10-2010 03:24 AM

Thanks Slymer for the reply.
I really wish if you can direct me to any website that would give me clear information about the specs of my vehicle in particular. I found this one site that said 650 CCA is enough for it. Although mine is 675 CCA, still I feel there's something wrong, and I couldn't verify this anywhere.

slymer 01-10-2010 07:25 PM

I can't verify it either. I just happen to be an electronics engineer and know about energy draw. The premier package does draw more power than the lower models. you may also need new plugs or wires or both as when they get old and worn their resistance increases and cause more energy draw to work normally. If you've got more than 100 thousand miles on it, you should probably replace the plugs at least.

mawwam 05-02-2010 03:35 AM

Dears,
Just to let you know that the problem has been fixed. There were some damaged wires that caused some resistance to the power transferred to the ABS system. As for the cruise control, there's a switch on the brake pedal to disable the cruise whenever you hit the brakes. That switch was malfunctioning causing the cruise control to stop working occasionally.

Thanks for your help.

SmokyMtn 06-20-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by mawwam (Post 13923)
Dears,
Just to let you know that the problem has been fixed. There were some damaged wires that caused some resistance to the power transferred to the ABS system. As for the cruise control, there's a switch on the brake pedal to disable the cruise whenever you hit the brakes. That switch was malfunctioning causing the cruise control to stop working occasionally.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your information. I am having the EXACT same problems. I did the same as you and bought a new battery (850 CCA). Didn't help. I could sometimes get the cruise control to work if I quickly slam on the brakes after a few miles of driving.

I'll have my mechanic replace that switch, and check out the wires to the ABS system. Do you know the location of the damaged wires?

Thanks!

Bob