Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

06 Mountaineer Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I have recently purchased a 2006 Mountaineer AWD V8, 6 speed automatic. It has 6000 miles. The vehicle has developed a frequently reoccurring problem. While the transmission is engaged, and starting from a stop, there feels to be a harsh engagement of the transmission- at times very abrupt. It almost feels that the torque converter is abruptly hooking-up at a higher RPM. This is particularly noticeable under load- w/ wheels turned hard, or starting on a incline.

Another less frequent, and probably related problem, is a sudden and strong forward surges while braking - even at a stop. The transmission seems to want to stay engaged after braking. I'm getting ready to take the car it to the dealer for service. Because the symptoms are intermittent I would like to find out what the problem could be. Has anyone else experienced these problems? Know the cause? Course to repair? Any TSB?

I owned an 89 F150 and was very pleased with the overall quality and reliability, never any problems. I thought the Mountanner would be a good buy - it appears to be very well made (and it’s not an import). I would like it more if the transmission performed like a $34,000.00 auto.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Jay

Old 11-17-2006, 01:07 AM

<DIV class=BIG>TSB
06-23-11 </DIV>
<DIV class=BIG>Take it to the dealer and see if they can reprogram the PCM. It fully controls the transmission.</DIV>
<DIV class=BIG></DIV>
<DIV class=BIG>It can fix:
<LI>Cold hesitation / surge
<LI>Long crank
<LI>Engine fan noise on cold start and A/C operation
<LI>High idle during warm up (cold engine)
<LI>Transmission engagement delay when shifting between P-D, N-D, and R-D
<LI>Delayed / hesitation on 1-2 shift, 2-1 and/or 3-2 decel step-in shifts
<LI>Hoot noise during cold 1st gear launches from transmission pump
<LI>Inaccurate Message Center average fuel economy estimation </LI></DIV>

Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I thought it couldn't hurt repsonding. I own an 06 Mountaineer with the V8 and 6 speed transmission. Ever since abour 4000 miles I have had th exact same problem. It has been reprogrammed several times. The problem goes away for awhile, but always comes back. Ford has tried to convince me this is normal, but those of us who experience this annoying shifting know it's not. I now have over 24,000 miles and it is still doing this. I have taken this issue to the Better Business Bureau and will be finding out in two weekswhat they will do about my vehicle. I hope they will replace it with one that works and has never experienced this shifting problem. I hope others who have the same problem will take issue with Ford and demand this transmission be replaced with one that worksin all of their vehicles.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM

-Update on this issue, Resolved-

I just bought an 06 Mountaineer Premier (4.6 / 6 speed) with 45k miles and of course it had the "tranny bump" problem. Intermittently as you come to a complete stop, the vehicle would jolt forward, with a sensation sometimes comparable to:
<ul>[*]getting bumped from the rear[/list]<ul>[*]accidentally taking your foot off the clutch when stopped and in 1st gear (manual transmission)[/list]The "bump" happened 3 times during my 1st night driving it. I thought for sure I bought a lemon and I brought it to the dealer the next morning.

The tranny tech knew exactly what I was talking about, and was nice enough to explain what was going wrong, and that there had been multiple TSBs for this issue, and that the most recent TSB truly "fixes".
<br style="font-weight: bold;">The problem is related to the "adaptive learning" of the tranny.</span> It primarily affects vehicles who''s drivers do a lot of California stops... Who me??!! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

The latest TSB completely disables learning for 1-2 and 2-1 shifts. After the reprogram, for shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, the TCM (transmission control module) just follows a predetermined shift map instead of learning. Shifting for all other gear transitions still "learn".

The last TSB changed the way "adaptive learning" reacted to what it learned, and sometimes didn''t work. I assume </span>that previous learning algorithms kept it in 2nd gear for California stoppers, but then shifted to 1st AFTER a complete stop, sometimes causing the bump.

The tranny tech said that he personally re-programmed about 50 vehicles with the latest firmware that disables the 1-2 and 2-1 learning, and that none of those 50 owners had ever come back with any tranny issues since. He also said that he has yet to see one of these 6 speed trannys go bad. So aside from this issue (which can be fixed by a program), the 6 speed auto seems to be a stout tranny. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Edited by: chrispycritter

Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM

I''ve been reading through this thread and it seems as though my 06 AWD is doing the very same thing. Cold or not (more so when it''s cold) it seems to hesitate from 1-2 and 2-3, every other shift seems to be pretty normal. Have any of you completely resolved this with the TCM or PCM? And is this going to be a major problem in the future or is it covered by the extended warranty? Thanks in advance....

Ryan

Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM

After the last "fix" my transmission hasn''t bumped, but it still hesitates between shifts. It''s still annoying, but not having it slam into gear is a plus. My Mountaineer now has 33,000 miles. I would consider it a very good vehicle if it wasn''t for the early transmission"slamming" problems andfor the consistant hesitation when accelerating which still exists today.