Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mountaineer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/)
-   -   2002 noisy rear end (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/2002-noisy-rear-end-665/)

english lee 07-22-2006 02:38 PM

hi i have just bought a 2002 mountaineer and discovered a droning noise from the rear end, i have been told this is a common problem and wondered if anyone could tell me how to fix this, also what will happen if i just live with it??

bstearns 08-29-2006 03:38 PM

I am having the same problem, it sounds like is is coming from the rear. it only happens when i let off the gas. have to be going atleast 35 or higher. anyone know what the problem is???

LM_ServiceAdv 09-15-2006 12:57 AM

The Noise Is Comming From Your Rear Differential. Pretty Common On Most Ford LM SUV's. If You Have An Extended Service Plan It Should Cover It. If Not, Ask Your Servicing Dealer If They Can Offer An "AWA" (After Warranty Assistance). Provided The Vehicle Is Under 60,000 Miles And You Have A Good Repore With Them They Shouldnt Have A Problem. You May Be Asked To Pay A Deductable Towards The Repair, But Its Usually Under $200.00. Hope This Helps.

As For Your Question Lee, You Can Live With The Noise For A While But It Will Cause Further Damage In The Long Run. The Noise Your Hearing Is Comming From The Differential Carrier Bearings. They Need To Be Replaced. This Involves A Complete Overhaul Of The Unit. If You Guys Prefer, They Make A Kit That Runs Around $275.00 That You Can Purchase And Have Your Own Mechanic Repair It. Total Repair Time Is Less That 1 Day. Again Hope This Helps.

Edited by: LM_ServiceAdv

WAKIZA 05-19-2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by LM_ServiceAdv (Post 2489)
The Noise Is Comming From Your Rear Differential. Pretty Common On Most Ford LM SUV's. If You Have An Extended Service Plan It Should Cover It. If Not, Ask Your Servicing Dealer If They Can Offer An "AWA" (After Warranty Assistance). Provided The Vehicle Is Under 60,000 Miles And You Have A Good Repore With Them They Shouldnt Have A Problem. You May Be Asked To Pay A Deductable Towards The Repair, But Its Usually Under $200.00. Hope This Helps.

As For Your Question Lee, You Can Live With The Noise For A While But It Will Cause Further Damage In The Long Run. The Noise Your Hearing Is Comming From The Differential Carrier Bearings. They Need To Be Replaced. This Involves A Complete Overhaul Of The Unit. If You Guys Prefer, They Make A Kit That Runs Around $275.00 That You Can Purchase And Have Your Own Mechanic Repair It. Total Repair Time Is Less That 1 Day. Again Hope This Helps.

Edited by: LM_ServiceAdv

Where can you buy the kit for $275?
Thanks

conan312 05-20-2009 02:10 AM

Your 02 'Neer has IRS with CV axles not a solid rear diff, right?

Ovennyvar 06-05-2009 11:08 PM

2002 noisy rear end

Toyota made a big mistake putting the Toy 8" rear end, originally designed for the early mini trucks under the FJ with a big v6, 240 hp, and a MUCH heavier vehicle w/ a rear locker. Why they didnt use the 9.5 diff found under FJ80s is beyond me. Toyota has been cutting way too many corners with their 4x4s these days.