Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Blue smoke from exhaust

Old 03-01-2005, 02:45 PM

I just purchased a 2002 Mountaineer, 6 cyl, 4.0l eng w/ 34500 miles on it. Within a week, notice low oil pressure light comes on, then goes off. Checked oil, level is ok. Drive around block, light does not come on again. The next day, after driving appx 5 miles, service engine soon light comes on, car cannot go over 40mph without starting a "death rattle", and blue & white smoke billows from exhaust. I believeit is a blown head gasket. The car is in shop, no response from dealer yet. Anyideas?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 PM

Sounds about right blown head gasket

Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 PM

Any idea as to cost to repair? I was also reading about possible class action suit against auto delaersin regard to head gaskets, and other types of needed repairs that seem to pop us right around the time that warranty comes to an end.[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Yep, but the "death rattle" has my concerned, plus the low oil pressure may mean that the engine went without oil for a little bit. If so then the engine bearings will be shot, and you will need a rebuilt engine. You know most of the time you buy a used car, you buy it 'as is'. I don't know how many days since you bought it, but if it hasn't been that long I'd ask the dealer to pay for the repairs. Maybe you can get them to cover some or most of the cost at last.
good luck and lets us know what happens, thanks

Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 AM

death rattle Ive seen that movie lol

ya go to the dealer if its been within a month and you

haven't been ******* it they can put a obdII reader on it

and tell you the RPM and g force in braking with in the last

300 hr. that you grove it. good luck !

Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 AM

I bought the car on a Saturday. On Sunday of the next week is when this adventure started. Took car into shop Monday morning, Get reply around 3:30 that mechs have not looked at car yet, will advise Tues. I called Tues. afternoon, mgr says that they are waiting on injectors, will advise on Wed. I call on Wed., they are running diagnostics. I go to dealer on Wed., they're sorry that they still have not gotten answer, so I get "loaner." We will see, but when I mentioned that this better not be a blown head gasket, or I want another car, eyes seem to light up. Maybe they know...??[img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 AM

takes time to chang head gasket lol

if i was you get another car! it might happen

at 66000 miles right.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 PM

Is the vehicle back at the dealer you bought it from? If so and you only owened the vehicle a short period of time i doubt that they are holding any information from you at times it really can take a long time to diagnose. In the 4 years the 2002 body style has been avaliable I have not yet seen 1 blown headgasket. Not saying that it isnt possible. I would also recommend having the left timing chain tensioner checked as they can cause a "death rattle" and stalling/no accel conditions. Also as for the low oil pressure light i do believe that we've had problems with the wiring going to them breaking and the switch itself going bad

Edited by: MercAdvisor

Old 03-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The latest thing I'm being told is that the computer needs to be replaced. How much impact does this have on not only solving the problem, but also knowing what the problem really was. I know that with a regular computer, once the hard drive is removed & replaced, there really is no historyabout the computer other than what you will now install. Is this the same case in this matter, or willdiagnostics remain as to the car, not what was on the computer? Am I gettingcarried away here???[img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]

If so, reel me back in.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:00 PM

Diagnostics are on the computer they will be replacing however if cleared properly any technican can do so realitivly easily

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue smoke from exhaust