Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mountaineer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/)
-   -   brake pedal squeak and brake replacement (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mountaineer-17/brake-pedal-squeak-brake-replacement-4793/)

stangcbr 04-25-2010 03:10 PM

brake pedal squeak and brake replacement

Does anyone's brake pedal start squeaking after a little driving (about 10 to 15 minutes. I have oiled and greased the shaft going to the master cylinder but it doesn't help. There is a TSB for pedal feel but not addressing squeak. It is pretty annoying and other people in the car can hear it. I have a 2006 Mountaineer Premier. The pedal feel isn't great, but I think that is american vehicles.

I just replaced the front brake pads and rotors with only 45k on the vehicle due to shake when braking. It cost $80 per rotor and for a set of pads for a total of $240 before labor. I figured I would get more miles than that considering my wifes camry went 100k miles. The shaking is now corrected. I had the brakes bled during the replacement but the pedal feel still isnt' great.

stangcbr 05-08-2010 10:18 PM

I looked around online and found a TSB on some GM vehicles with what sounds like the same problem. It simply says to remove all the fluid from the Master Cylinder and replace with new DOT 3 fluid. It apparently worked great for a lot of people. I will try tomorrow.

"
#08-05-22-002C: Squeak Noise on Brake Apply (Remove Brake Fluid from Master Cylinder and Refill) - (Apr 7, 2009)

Subject: Squeak Noise On Brake Apply (Remove Brake Fluid from Master Cylinder and Refill)

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2008 Buick Enclave

2004-2008 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT, TrailBlazer SS

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

2009 Chevrolet Malibu (VIN position 11, 4 Orion MI. build with Build Date Prior to April 20, 2009)

2004-2008 GMC Canyon, Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV

2007-2008 GMC Acadia

2008 Pontiac G6

2009 Pontiac G6 (VIN position 11, 4 Orion MI. build with Build Date Prior to April 20, 2009)

2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK

2008 Saturn AURA

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-22-002B (Section 05 -- Brakes).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a squeak noise when the brake pedal is applied or when released. This noise is normally heard when the brake pedal is slowly applied with the engine on or off, but can occur when the brake pedal is released. The noise may be isolated to the master cylinder area.

Correction
To correct this concern, remove as much of the old brake fluid from the master cylinder as possible and refill with a new DOT 3 brake fluid, P/N 88862806 (in Canada, use P/N 88862807). Start the vehicle and fully cycle the brake pedal until the noise diminishes to allow the new fluid to enter the system."

stangcbr 05-15-2010 10:37 PM

I seem to be talking to myself in these forums, but as I discover the answers, I am going to share them. I bought a turkey baster and a bottle of Prestone DOT 3 brake fluid. I sucked out the fluid out of just the resevoir and replaced with new fluid. By the way, one bottle of prestone fluild put the level about in the middle of min and max. I am happy to report that the problem is SOLVED! Thanks GM TSB.