Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Mystique (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mystique-20/)
-   -   98 Mystique. Stumper. Please help? (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/mystique-20/98-mystique-stumper-please-help-3105/)

jaeymers 07-18-2009 08:35 PM

98 Mystique. Stumper. Please help?

Hello all. I am new here. First of all, 98 mystique.
103k.
Issue: No start.
Previous owner had wrong ECM installed.
I have replaced:
fuel pump
ECM
Crank Position Sensor.
Cam Position Sensor.
(PATS lite on dash doesn't light up)*not sure if a problem or not*
Turn key, fuel pump primes, turn to start, cranks, but no start.
There is signal ref: from Crank position sensor, but no spark.
SIDE NOTE: There was some melted wires that went to the coil pack which have since been replaced. new grounding strap for ECM.
Not sure if coil pack is dead, or ICM is bad, or both.
Seems to check out up to no spark.
will the ICM cause the PATS to keep it a "no fire" since it doesn't seem to give the light it is supposed to? Will the ICM being bad hinder the PATS?
So new, so lost. Lots of questions, I am sorry.

Thanks for any help!!!!

conan312 07-19-2009 12:36 AM

Time to break out with a multi-meter and go to town on the ign. system. Go over everything that has been fixed, replaced, repaired, etc. Check everything from continuity to possible voltage drops. Check all your grounds twice. Did the car run for the previous owner when it had the wrong ECM installed?

jaeymers 07-19-2009 10:24 AM

RE:98 Mystique

It did supposedly run for about 30 minutes, then quit all together. the shop they had it at said they needed a "whole new engine harness.
I spent yesterday testing out everything with the volt meter. The ecu responds as it should, the fuel pump primes and has good pressure, signal reference at the crank sensor is good, no spark!!
I am leaning on the coil and the ICM as the culprits.
Just dont want to get too involved in money with this one.
any insight is good.
thanks.

slymer 07-19-2009 05:46 PM

I think you may be correct about the ICM being the issue. If you have an Autozone nearby, they may be able to test it for you. call around and see if the parts places will do that. the coil shoule be able to be tested with the multimeter. I don't know the specific tests for your specific coil though.

jaeymers 07-19-2009 06:33 PM

RE:98 Mystique

i will be taking the coil out tomorrow, autozone says they can test that, but not my particular ICM. So, depending on the outcome of the coil, good, keep, bad replace(junkyard) good get ICM(junkyard).
Will keep posted as to outcome of events!
Thanks for all the help so far everyone!!!!

jaeymers 07-21-2009 06:26 PM

98 mystique

I pulled the coil today. tested the primary and secondary(s) on it and not sure where to find the correct values to see if it is bad.

Primary at the Pins reads 1.0 ohms, 1.0 ohms, 1.0 ohms, 0.5 ohms.(on the pins)

Secondary(s) read: 11.45Kohms 11.45kohms 11.45kohms (on the coil plug housings)
Not sure if these are good or bad.

I also need to test the Ignition control module, but don't know where to find it on this vehicle.
I thought it was the black module on the cruise control box behind the strut tower on the driver side, took it off the housing and it is got a board underneath that plugs into (I think the Cruise control module?)

Any help is great, getting frustrated!!

Thanks!!

jaeymers 07-23-2009 08:55 AM

Fixed RE:98 Mystique

With the new ecm installed, (from another vehicle, holding onto it's vin# inside the software) it wouldn't allow the keys access and denied essential necessities, fuel and spark.
Local Electronics Locksmith came out , 45 dollars to reprogram PATS, 40 bucks to show up! Can't beat it!!

After all the wiring nightmare, which is now 100 percent redone, should be good for a long time to come! learned tons this time around.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slymer 07-23-2009 08:03 PM

Glad you got it sorted. Hope that's it for you for some time.