Mystique Discuss the Mercury Mystique here...

Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
How hard is it to service the transmission on the 1995 mystique with 2.0 engine. I would like to do it myself. Do you know or a link that gives step by step on this transmision.

Thanks
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM

I imagine it is an automatic, and you want to change the fluid and filter. You can get filter and gasket kit at any parts store. Then it's just alot tranny pan bolts to remove. (I'm assuming you don't have a transmission fluid evacuation machine.) That's what the automotive chain repair shops use to do a $80 tranny service, which is just a vaccuum, and never includes a filter change. The filter is right beneath the pan. Then make sure!!!ALL!!!the old gasket is off the transaxle and pan. Look at the pan really quick and make sure the pan was never over tightened. You can tell this by looking at the inside of the bolt holes on the pan and make they are all flush, and not petruding. Then replace the new gasket, no gasket sealer please, and tighten them from corner to corner, then across from each other. Never tighten them like a clock and never overtighten or it might leak or crush the gasket. Replace w/Ford tranny fluid, ask the parts guy to be sure. Let me know if I covered all the bases.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

it would be a good idea to have some brake cleaner to to clean the valve body and pan out also. it WILL have a grey sludge which is typical in an automatic transmission. let it completely drip out of the valvebody. when cleaning the pan, spray it good and wipe it clean. the transmission fluid you can see what kind it takes by looking at the dipstick which tells you what you need. i am pretty sure it will say dexron/mercon on it. Edited by: 87_Crown_Vic

Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM

I think Dexron is for GM'S and only newer fords. There should be a magnet in the pan to collect metal, it will probably be covered with metal dust from all the years transaxle operration.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM

Go with conans idea. it sounds like a solid way to go about this. Conan is a great mechanic and you can take his response to the bank. Keep up th great work conan. Conan has been here for 3 years and knows what he is talking about.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by conan312
I think Dexron is for GM''S and only newer fords. There should be a magnet in the pan to collect metal, it will probably be covered with metal dust from all the years transaxle operration.

The Contour/Mystique/Cougar CD4E automatic trannies required Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid. The owners manualfor my ''99actually states that Mercon V may damage the transaxle, butFord now approves it as a substitute. My suggestion is to use ONLY Dexron III/Mercon - especially in a ''95. These transaxles generate a lot of heat and have been shown to have their share of problems, so I''m in the habbit of performing a 4 quart drain &amp; fill every 6 months. 170,000 miles &amp; counting.