New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Newbie here from Southport, NC

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Default Newbie here from Southport, NC

Hello, everyone. Recently purchased a nice, one owner, low miles 96 Grand Marquis. So far, I have really enjoyed it. These are some of the most overlooked bargains around. Big, comfy, awesome ride and handling, good fuel economy, as well. Mine has the performance package with the 3:27 rear end and I still get 25 MPG highway. Why anyone would opt for a pricey econobox is way beyond me. Hope to learn some good info from other owners. I am looking to replace my factory Cassette stereo with a factory CD player. If anyone knows what years will interchange, please let me know. Also, are the plugs on the back of the stereo all the same?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Hello, Timekeeper, and welcome to the Mercury Forums !!
City and State where you live ??
Is your rig a GS or an LS ??
How many miles on the clock ??
What features are included in the "performance package" ??
I need to know this stuff in order to advise.
Click on my name and profile to see pix of my '95 Grand Marquis Restoration -- there is an itemized list of modifications and part numbers in one of my earlier posts.
Your '96 should be almost identical to my '95 -- most part numbers will interchange.
As for that stereo -- don't fool around !! Go to Crutchfield.com to find out everything you need to know about what is available, what will fit, and get a general idea of the overall cost.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks! My Mercury is an LS edition with about 133,000 miles. Has digital dash, which I am not crazy about, but learning to like a little better. I don't know all the performance package includes except for dual exhaust, rear sway bar and 3:27 rear gears. It is quite a really nice road car, rides and drives great. The rear air suspension has been converted to coil springs, which I see as a big plus. It is a one owner little old lady car that has been well serviced. She was in her 80s and quit driving. A friend of mine who owns a used car lot bought it and I ended up with it. It replaces a 98 Buick Park Avenue which I really never cared for. I prefer a factory stereo over an aftermarket one. I do want a CD player, as I never listen to radio, too many commercials. I may end up with an aftermarket unit if I cannot find a good original.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Hello timekeeper , new here myself ,I'm down the road from you in Florence SC .

Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Hey, Dude. Yep, Florence is just down the road. Been to several car shows down there.