Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

when do you work on your ride???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

just curious when people work on there cars? i work on mine whenever i have time and weather allows. i am always finding a way to make something look better, perform better, and sound better. i try to keep up on the preventative work the cars need here since besides the cars in my signature, i work on a 1979 4x4 Chevy truck, a 1993 Geo Storm, 1979 Chevy van, and help our roommate with his repairs. my hands are full of maintenance, so i try to keep them running the right way except when the occasional problem pops up.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
My car is working, no need to "work" on it.

If it needs work, it will be done right away (space/weather/parts availability permitting). Prevents further damage/issues.

For everything esle mentioned: I'd go shopping for another ride.

Greetings!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

I usually work on the Thunderbird on the weekends if time permits. it takes back seat to a lot of other things though. All the other cars, when something breaks, it gets immediate attention. The Charger and the sable go to the dealer for oil changes. Just because I don't have a jack to get them up in the air. I don't like jacking them at an angle, because i feel that you don't get all the old stuff out. The F-150, Thunderbird and the Grand Prix get done by me.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Default When The Time Is Right !!

Presently, my only vehicle is a '95 Grand Marquis, which I have owned since '05.
Bought with 51,000 miles on the clock, the Merc is now approaching 150,000 miles.
I have restored the Merc to original specs, plus many additions and upgrades to the suspension, brakes, transmission, differential, and engine auxillaries.
I do all of the work myself -- at home -- in the carport -- on my back.
Here in the desert, the summertime temps hit 115 +, so I must work early in the morning to avoid heat stroke.
Retired 20 years ago, I have a plenty of time available to plan and carry out any repairs and/or modifications.
Mostly basic hand tools and a cheap floor jack are all that was needed, but I had to borrow a spring compressor to replace the front coil springs.
When winter comes, I wait until Noon or so before starting work, but that makes for a short day. Sometimes in Winter, I allow an extra day for checking my work and cleaning up.
One thing I've found out while restoring my '95 Merc -- Don't even ATTEMPT any seriuos repairs, modifications, or restoration without getting a set of FACTORY SHOP MANUALS -- you'll save a TON of time (money!), and you'll be glad you took the time to get the REAL manuals.
The Chilton and Haynes manuals just don't cut it !!
I found a used set (2 books) of 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis manuals at e-bay for $40.00 .
I built my own dual exhaust system with H-pipe and MagnaFlow glasspacks, and had it welded up at "MufflerMasters", Avondale, AZ.
A new headliner was installed by "Hot Rod Interiors", Glendale, AZ.
Computer alignment by Goodyear Tire Store,, Avondale, AZ.
The rest of the restoration was planned and executed by me, a retired geezer with lots of automotive experience and a PLENTY of time to do what I like to do best.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-19-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Add content