Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Sable (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/)
-   -   2002 sable climate control (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/2002-sable-climate-control-3293/)

Doug T 09-21-2009 05:09 PM

2002 sable climate control

I have a problem with the climate control switches intermittantly not working. Anyone know how to remove the panel? I see 4 holes but cannot tell what's behind them.

Thanks

slymer 09-21-2009 06:22 PM

those 4 holes are for the radio removal tool. you can use 4 nails a little smaller than those holes but about 4-5 inches long and push them in and use that to pull the whole face (radio and climate controls) out. I'm not sure if there's anything else needing removal before doing so.

Doug T 09-21-2009 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow. Do all four "nails" need to be pushed at the same time for it to come out?

slymer 09-22-2009 11:59 AM

yes, all 4 at once and use the nails to pull it all out (push them towards the middle as you pull). Once it's all about half an inch out you should be past the catch and be able to pull it out the rest of the way without the nails.

The removal tool is usually pretty cheap though. I mention nails because most folks have some just lying around.

crazyrog17 09-23-2009 09:29 AM

The removal tools are ~$5 at autozone. Well worth it though because they have nubs at the end which give you an affirming 'click' when they're in place.

I tried removing my radio without any experience of using the ford radio/dash removal tools and it took me forever to figure out what to do. Of course you push them into the holes (they're two U shaped hooks with nubs on the end) slowly and feel a really light 'click'. If you press them in farther than that, it'll lock it worse and you'll be sweating with nothing to show for it.

So insert, light click, push or pull the tools apart or together and pull slowly.

Doug T 09-23-2009 09:50 AM

Thanks to both of you, its this afternoons project

Doug T 11-19-2009 12:52 PM

It's been awhile but thought I'd post an update.

Bought the tool from Autozone, 6-7 bucks.

Inserted all the way and pulled panel out, easy enough.

The rear of the panel is enclosed, I was thinking I would be able to get to the switches to trouble-shoot to see what was going on. No luck there. There is one connection for the radio, and another 2 wire connection for the climate control.

So I put it back together and have had no problems for nearly 2 months. I do not understand how or what but its workling.

Hope this may help someone else.

slymer 11-19-2009 08:19 PM

you wiggled something. I bet it was a contact issue. if it happens again, take some contact cleaner to the wire harnesses you know about and clean them up real good... then put some dielectric grease on them and that should sort it permanently (at least as far as the contacts are concerned).

bigjoe09 11-21-2009 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by slymer (Post 11230)
those 4 holes are for the radio removal tool. you can use 4 nails a little smaller than those holes but about 4-5 inches long and push them in and use that to pull the whole face (radio and climate controls) out. I'm not sure if there's anything else needing removal before doing so.

are you cereal right now?

Aftedia09 12-18-2009 08:39 PM

2002 sable climate control

I have a sable that the tranny crapped out on and I need to get it replaced. All I can find are new or rebuilt ones for like 800.00 to a 1000, Id even take a used one in good shape.