Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Sable (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/)
-   -   2004 Sable Intermitant Start (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/2004-sable-intermitant-start-1836/)

kc4rzw 06-23-2008 05:36 PM

Have a 04 Sable that works great most of the time.

Sometimes after it has stopped (and getting more frequent)and the engine turned off, will refuse to start. The aux all work when the key is turned but turning the key to activate the ignition nothing happens.

After a few minutes, you turn the key again and it starts perfectly like nothing is wrong, and it runs great. This is baffling, need suggestions on how to track down the problem further. Could it be a switch or sensor, Have not figured out how to get it to start when it won''''t. Need any ideas?[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Edited by: kc4rzw

conan312 06-29-2008 03:59 AM

does the starter click when it won''t start? is there a massive power draw when it is not starting? after long drives or short ones? let me know.

kc4rzw 06-29-2008 07:52 AM

The battery is up good, there is no click, the starter does not even try to turn over. After waiting for a while, put the key back in and it starts right up as if nothing was wrong.

I read on a ford forum that this problem has been known to be associated with the security key not being properly read by the security system in the car and so even though you have the right key if the security system does not think you have a security key it will not allow the starter to be engaged. This might be our problem but we are using factory keys and so not quite sure if this is our problem.

It is not a typical power to the starter problem, it may be a sensor, or a computer issue, or a security key problem. It does not happen every time the car is started. It will go for days starting just fine, and then right out of the blue it will not start. Put in the key and turn it and nothing, absolutely nothing happens. take the key out wait a while, yesterday the wait was just five minutes, put the key back in, and it starts right up like nothing was ever wrong. Any ideas?

Edited by: kc4rzw

conan312 07-02-2008 09:00 PM

I think you are on the right track w/the keys, but not sure how you should procede. Trying the spare key if there is one. No check engine or security lights on the dash, right?

kc4rzw 07-03-2008 07:25 AM

We got the problem solved is seems. The car got so bad that it was not starting about every other time. Took it to our mercury dealer who put it on a rack, got it to not start, tapped the starter motor and it started right up, they got it to not start and tapped the starter again and it started. We replaced the starter motor and everything seems to be working fine. Will comment again if we find that this did not really solve the problem.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

conan312 07-04-2008 09:40 AM

Bum starter on an ''04. Hope it was not too pricey. Good luck.