Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:03 AM

I have a 2001 mercury sable and the low coolant light is on sometimes then other times it is off . I checked for leaks and there is none , overflow container is withen correct level . Took the car to mercury dealer they say there is a sensor in the overflow container which cannot be replaced you need to buy a whole new overflow container . Does this sound correct or am I missing something any help would be nice[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Thanks Ed Edited by: ELarsen188

Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Nope your not missing anything unfortunately ford only offers the sensor included with the bottle.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 AM

Most of the sensors on cars are not really of the rocket science variety, so I would suggest you first check all wiring connections, empty and then thoroughly flush the coolant tank if possible to make sure the sensor is clean and able to function properly. Refill the tank with coolant, and see if there is any change. Alternately/additionally, some of the many light warnings are momentary error messages that will go away once the problem has been corrected, and the battery is disconnected for a half hour or so to remove the error message from computer memory. If none of this works, then it's off to the wreckers for a replacement (cheap), or coughing up more money at the dealer for a new unit. I always prefer to check and change the small money items first. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2005, 12:31 AM

well the low coolant light coming on/off is a known problem just replace the tank. new or used but i wouldnt go through all the cleaning and checking in this case.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:06 AM

Ford has had this issue on a lot of different vehicles. I know this may sound silly,but,on both contours i own,the easy fix was to top off the tank to 1/2 inch above the full line. no problems in 5 years. To add,to clear a message,you do not have to wait a half hour to reset a light. If you do not have a scanner,you can pull the neg. batt. cable and pull ecm fuse reinstall 30 sec. and it will be reset.Edited by: Lenny

Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 PM

I wouldn't even worry about it, put masking tape onver the light it if bugs you and manually check the coolant on a regular basis.It's not worth your time or your money to fix something you can do without.