Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Sable (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/)
-   -   Just quit working (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/just-quit-working-1979/)

ringo 09-03-2008 09:17 PM

Drove it yesterday and now today it won''t start. I have no spark. Turns over OK. Am looking for ideas where to start. The car has a 3.0 OHV with 169k on it. I changed out the coil pack but that didn''t help. So what''s next?

ringo 09-04-2008 09:10 PM

So the now I''ll try is the crankshaft position sensor. This is located under the waterpump, back towards the firewall. Its easy to get at. According the Chilton book, you should measure 1.5volts DC on the wires leading to the sensor from the PCM, which I have. You should then be able to measure an AC voltage from the sensor as the motor turns. The sensor is a hall affect sensor, so the voltage should pulse. My sensor has no pulsing, so I''ll try this next. (cost:$35-40) Or does anyone know the AC voltage that should created as the crankshaft turns? I also took the sensor off and passed a wrench by the sensor and there was no real measurement of AC voltage. I have a cheesy analog meter I bought since I thought my digital meter might not read the pulse correctly. Other ideas?
Edited by: ringo

conan312 09-06-2008 07:44 PM

My guess is still a crank pos. sensor due to the symptoms. No probs with the cam sensor which can give you the same headache, right? Go pull one off a junker and try it. Let me know.

jason sereiko 09-07-2008 03:31 PM

you really need a better handhels to read this correctly. you can be not getting a good curent if it is dirty or has some build up on the part ypou are testing. If it does not pulse, that does not mean it would not start the car. But if it is not pulsing and has low volts then it is bad. It should pulse when it is running and this is not the case with your car.

If there was no measurement of volts, then it is bad. all most all sensors should have 1.5 volts that have a relay connected to them,.

For something like this, I would replace the sensor because you changed the packs.

jason sereiko 09-07-2008 03:33 PM

man how I use to love the simple distributors.

ringo 09-07-2008 03:56 PM

Update: tried 2 different crankshaft sensors from different auto parts stores. Susposedly according to the parts guy, buying a crankshaft sensor is a crap shoot. The OBDII has no error messages. According to the book it can read if there is a problem on the crankshaft sensor. Tried a camshaft sensor. Hey, why not! Still S.O.L. Yes, I do have voltage coming from the PCM to each sensor. I''m thinking it jumped on the timing chain at this point. I hear it fire once out the exhaust. Where is my BIG Hammer!

jason sereiko 09-07-2008 06:45 PM

do you know if your timming belt is ok?

ringo 09-10-2008 08:43 PM

So I tried replacing the CCRM, this sits next to your battery and supplies power to the PCM. Bought 2 at the junk yard, still no good. Still no error codes from the ODBII. No blown fuses. Yep the big hammer is about to come out. I should have known not to buy a DorF product. Fix or repair Daily.

jason sereiko 09-12-2008 08:43 PM

Ringo, i think you might have two problems going on here. when it turns over does it turn over faster then normal when you jump it.

I really think your timming belt is one of them. it is slipping or broke. this is why the check enginelights are not comming on and all the sensors are checking out.

gentry1976 10-14-2008 09:17 AM

I have the same problem. I''m not very mechanically inclined but my Dad has the car at his shop with a Chilton''s book and has been testing everything he can get to. Also changed the timing chain. It hadn''t jumped yet but was halfway there andwe''d already gotten down to it and bought a chain. Fuel pump wasn''t working (maybe just from sitting so long), so replaced that along w/ filter. Still not starting. About to give up on DIY and take it to Dealership. No codes are coming up now, lost all the old codes when we unnhooked the battery. If I take it to dealer I''ll let you know what they say.