Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Sable (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/)
-   -   A new to me Merc in the fleet.. (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/sable-13/new-me-merc-fleet-3887/)

maxfax3 11-10-2009 01:36 AM

A new to me Merc in the fleet..

So some of you may remeber months back when I first started posting here that I had a 1997 Sable LS with the Duratec engine.. Some of you may also remeber that I constantly griped and complained about how nothing on it ever worked... And more recently my celebratory post about it finally taking a poo and leaving..

Well...... I bought another one...

1997 Sable LS Duratec 3.0 in silver, all the gadgets with leather trimmed seats and about 145,000 highway miles.. I'm the 2nd owner, the PO bought it new, dealer serviced for whatever it's worth... No rust, a few scratches and dings but other wise EVERYTHING WORKS!!! The windows go up and down flawlessly, door open and shut great, dome light turns on AND OFF as it's supposed to.. It uses less than a pint of oil between changes... No sudders, or bucks, or jerks, or rattles, trans shifts wonderful! Of course it has a few needs like mufflers, a tune-up (shouldn;t the dealer have done that at the 100K service???) and tires.. I suspect it may need ball joints and or tie rods as the tires are worn funny.. I'll get some pics up when I get a moment..

Yeah, after the last one of these you'd think I would run away from Ford products all together, but I guess I'll give these cars a second chance.. For $800 why not?? I however had no luck with that and ended up shimming the bracket ever so slightly.. I still don;t care for FWD but I gotta say the power and economy is nice..

slymer 11-10-2009 11:33 AM

yeah... the sable/taurus are good cars generally. the transmissions tend to need servicing more often on the duratech setups than I would like. The vulcans would just flat wear out stuff over long periods if regular maintenance was done (and sometimes even if it wasn't). 93 taurus wagon I drove for a couple of years had no engine troubles EVER. broke a CV joint, the rear suspension was all but not there (bouncey), the AC never worked, but it would run forever (and probably still does - guy who bought it fixed the rear suspension and used it as a backup car). Those motors are definitely peppy. put your foot in it at 60 and you'd max out the digital dash (85) pretty quick.

bigjoe09 11-21-2009 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by slymer (Post 12263)
yeah... the sable/taurus are good cars generally. the transmissions tend to need servicing more often on the duratech setups than I would like. The vulcans would just flat wear out stuff over long periods if regular maintenance was done (and sometimes even if it wasn't). 93 taurus wagon I drove for a couple of years had no engine troubles EVER. broke a CV joint, the rear suspension was all but not there (bouncey), the AC never worked, but it would run forever (and probably still does - guy who bought it fixed the rear suspension and used it as a backup car). Those motors are definitely peppy. put your foot in it at 60 and you'd max out the digital dash (85) pretty quick.

could not have said it better my self

immodiupt 11-28-2009 01:38 PM

A new to me Merc in the fleet

that loader would fit into my fleet perfectly...can i borrow it for the next five months? do you have a pusher for it and if so how big?

slymer 11-28-2009 10:17 PM

loader? pusher? we're talking about cars, not construction equipment.

maxfax3 12-16-2009 09:49 PM

Knock wood, I think got a good one this time.. My 91 CV got snowplowed the other week (long sad story) so I've been beating this Sable around.. I think the last one was a Friday car.. This thing works great!!! Got some new mufflers, everything serviced, added a trans cooler.. I may spring for some sort of programmer for this one.. WOW..