Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

P0171 code

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Hi. I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. I hope to get some help diagnosing a problem with my 2001 Sable GS. I have a 3.0L SOHC vulcan engine. I am getting a P0171 code which tells me that bank 1 is detected as running too lean. I also noticed that my idle has gotten a lot rougher since the check engine light lit up and it tried to stall a couple times yesterday in traffic. I can step on the gas to rev it and it catches up. Also, it has been stumbling intermittently at all speeds for a while now without the check engine light lit. But the light did finally come on a few days ago and now it has tried to stall at idle. I have a list of probable defective parts ranging from the MAF sensor to the fuel pump and filter to a simple vacuum leak. Has anyone seen anything similar and what was the likely cause? I am going to check for vacuum leaks with a good carb cleaner. After that, what part should I try first? Thanks for any help.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>