Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/tires-31/)
-   -   What are you running on your Mercury? (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/tires-31/what-you-running-your-mercury-4069/)

SilverSurfer 02-09-2010 09:50 PM

What are you running on your Mercury?

The stock chrome over alloy rims on my 1996 were starting to peel the chrome very badly, and the cost of replacement rims was outrageous. I'm now running Saachi split spoke rims that have a high gloss silver coat, with Hankook Mileage Plus II tires @one size over stock. I think they look great, and the tires ride very quietly, have good snow and rain characteristics, and didn't break the bank. I'd buy them again, and have recommended them to friends.

See pics in the gallery!

95 MERC 06-09-2017 03:44 PM

Tires

3 Attachment(s)
My '95 Grand Marquis GS restoration has been rejuvenated with five (5) FOMOCO alloy wheels that were on early-'90s Crown Vics, Lincolns, and Grand Marquis.
These 15 x 6.5-inch wheels have the "Lace" spoke pattern, and are made in Italy. I found a set of four (4) Grand Marquis hub caps in primo condition on-line for $75.
Four (4) of the wheels are fitted with 215 x 70 x 15 Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring tires, while the Spare alloy wheel is fitted with a 215 x 70 x 15 Michelin.
Only the Goodyears are in the rotation schedule, while the Michelin rides in the trunk.
My wife and I do a lot of high-speed touring in the deserts and mountains of the Western USA, and the Goodyears give excellent grip, regardless of road surface.
These are "All-Season" tires, and can handle heat and pouring rain with ease, but DEEP snow is too much for the "highway" tread design.
The Goodyears are performing really well and lasting a loooooong time. All things considered, these are the best-gripping, best handling, and longest-lasting tires that I've ever owned -- and would recommend them to enthusiasts, friends, and family.

95 MERC 06-05-2019 12:55 PM

GOODYEAR Tire Update

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mer...4f5ad3f6b0.jpg
GOODYEAR Assurance ComforTread Touring Tires. Premium Quality, Outstanding Performance.

GOODYEAR Update --
About 40,000 miles on the Goodyears -- wearing very well, delivering smooth, quiet ride and giving great grip in either wet or dry conditions.
The 2-ton Grand Marquis requires a premium tire -- 98T is CORRECT load-range/speed-rating spec for non-police Grand Marquis vehicles.
The Goodyear Assurance ComforTread Touring tires are not cheap, but are well worth the money, considering the excellent features and overall performance.
Of SUPREME importance is your vehicle's wheel alignment -- a computerized wheel alignment (with printout!) is a MUST !!
A mis-alignment of just TWO (2) degrees of Toe-in can scrub off 20,000 miles from your tires -- I KNOW, because it happened to me in the past.
Another way to add life to your tires is to have ALL FOUR (4) wheels spin-balanced -- I recommend the low-profile "tape weights".

Of course, proper inflation is all-ways important -- get the correct tire pressures from the sticker on the inside of the right-rear door jamb -- get a DIGITAL tire gauge (I recommend the Sears Craftsman for features and accuracy).
Check your tire pressures in the MORNING, before the sun gets on them and before driving.

95 MERC 11-23-2021 09:48 AM

Well, it's tire time again -- The Goodyears finally wore down.
I wanted to get the same tires again, but they don't make that same tire any more.
Requirements:
215 x 70R x 15
Load & Speed Range = 98T
Made in USA
80,000-mile warranty
Here is what I found:
YOKOHAMA Avid Ascend LX
215 x 70R x 15
Load & Speed = 98 T
Made in Virginia, USA
85,000-mile warranty
Mounted & Balanced, out the door = $575.00
Discount Tire Co., Phoenix, AZ
1995 Grand Marquis Restoration - Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (1)